Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
drmar35mm
drmar35mm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Redundant TOC in Mobi

I've been trying to create Mobi e books to submit to the Kindle Store. I input an htm document saved from my Word original. Everything is OK, except Calibre is adding a redundant and quite unwanted second TOC at the end of the Mobi. I make an Epub, and it's no problem. How do I make it stop? Any help is appreciated, and thanks...
drmar35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-in-mobi-files
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon doesn't accept mobi/azw3 created by calibre.

And the recommended (only?) way to upload a book to Amazon KDP is either upload the epub (amazon will convert it for you) or convert it yourself using kindlegen which is really the same thing, the only difference is who does it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
drmar35mm
drmar35mm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Amazon doesn't accept mobi/azw3 created by calibre.

And the recommended (only?) way to upload a book to Amazon KDP is either upload the epub (amazon will convert it for you) or convert it yourself using kindlegen which is really the same thing, the only difference is who does it.
Thanks for the info. I will do that in future. What's funny is that last fall I submitted a Mobi book to Amazon created in Calibre, and they accepted it. The process went quite smoothly, in fact. But I'll try Epub next time.
drmar35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Amazon accepts MOBI produced by calibre, it *sometimes* does not accept KF8/AZW3.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazon accepts MOBI produced by calibre, it *sometimes* does not accept KF8/AZW3.
I see.

@drmar35mm:
But I'd still go for EPUB submission -- there is no particular reason to limit customers from getting the (updated) azw3 version from Amazon's conversion, if their reader supports it. And if their reader doesn't support azw3 (because they're still using the Kindle2/Kindle1/KindleDX?) they still get the mobi fallback.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote