Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #736
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I am getting the following error when trying to use the Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire feature, this has occurred since I installed the latest version. How do I go back to a previous version? BTW I am on Calibre v1.45.0
Spoiler:

Code:
calibre, version 1.45.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:arguments did not match any overloaded call:
  QProgressDialog(QWidget parent=None, Qt.WindowFlags flags=0): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'
  QProgressDialog(QString, QString, int, int, QWidget parent=None, Qt.WindowFlags flags=0): argument 2 has unexpected type 'NoneType'

calibre 1.45 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.action", line 190, in perform_check
  File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_fix", line 44, in perform_check
  File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_fix", line 353, in fix_mobi_asin
  File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.dialogs", line 622, in __init__
TypeError: arguments did not match any overloaded call:
  QProgressDialog(QWidget parent=None, Qt.WindowFlags flags=0): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'
  QProgressDialog(QString, QString, int, int, QWidget parent=None, Qt.WindowFlags flags=0): argument 2 has unexpected type 'NoneType'
Sorry, my fault. This is one of the changes needed for the Qt5 support. The change I originally made didn't work with the current calibre and I missed fixing this one spot. I have attached a fixed version. Which I have tested. Can someone confirm it works?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Quality Check-qt5.zip (128.7 KB, 258 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 AM   #737
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, my fault. This is one of the changes needed for the Qt5 support. The change I originally made didn't work with the current calibre and I missed fixing this one spot. I have attached a fixed version. Which I have tested. Can someone confirm it works?
Yes that fixes it, thank youi.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #738
Arwath
Arwath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes it works

Last edited by Arwath; 08-02-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Arwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #739
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Thanks for the reports. And thanks to Kovid for updating the first post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #740
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Hi Grant - this is my favourite plugin (almost). I use Swap Author FN/LN ALL the time, because I insert jackets (with Modify epub) with one order and reverse it for the booklist. I have no idea if this is the most used item in Quality Check for other people, but I'd like to request a separate plugin, if that's not a whole lot of work??? It'd be great to be able to just hit one button ...

While on the subject, I am now working on a laptop, and doing a major overhaul of my libraries. For some obscure reason that escapes me completely after EXTENSIVE tweaking, uninstalling/reinstalling, FN/LN no longer snaps to it the way it used to. If I am using the plugin on more than 4-5 books at a time it takes a very long time to execute. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a coupled of times, as I said. Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks.

FYI My system is i7, 1.8 GHz, W7 x64, 4GB RAM
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #741
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Hi Grant - this is my favourite plugin (almost). I use Swap Author FN/LN ALL the time, because I insert jackets (with Modify epub) with one order and reverse it for the booklist. I have no idea if this is the most used item in Quality Check for other people, but I'd like to request a separate plugin, if that's not a whole lot of work??? It'd be great to be able to just hit one button ...

While on the subject, I am now working on a laptop, and doing a major overhaul of my libraries. For some obscure reason that escapes me completely after EXTENSIVE tweaking, uninstalling/reinstalling, FN/LN no longer snaps to it the way it used to. If I am using the plugin on more than 4-5 books at a time it takes a very long time to execute. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a coupled of times, as I said. Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks.

FYI My system is i7, 1.8 GHz, W7 x64, 4GB RAM
Possibilities:
Your DB has grown
The book has lots of tags, authors?
Your HD is Fragmented
Your A/V is overly aggressive

A name (order) change means the file move (IIRC Calibre does not do a simple rename, but copies, then deletes the old)
Lots of other DB action if there are mucho tags
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #742
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
...should be able to use author_sort in the jacket tempate, no switching needed and much easier to maintain...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #743
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Possibilities:
Your DB has grown
The book has lots of tags, authors?
Your HD is Fragmented
Your A/V is overly aggressive

A name (order) change means the file move (IIRC Calibre does not do a simple rename, but copies, then deletes the old)
Lots of other DB action if there are mucho tags
Thanks Ducks - none of the above, unfortunately. DB is a few books weightier, no more. Only one tag per book. I maintain a very tight ship here in terms of defrags etc., and after being frustrated by slower Calibre generally with my slower laptop I have done everything suggested in the general Calibre thread. Swap FN/LN used to be lightning fast and therefore more than useful and used continually by me.

Example, today I modified 100 epubs with Modify epub, and timed it as it uses the same temp location procedure, and it did the job in a couple of minutes - no problem at all with that speed. To exchange Author FN/Last Name on the same books took 7.5 minutes. Unacceptably slow, especially as I change them back again after the modify epub. As I said to Grant I've been doing that forever and it has never been less than very quick.

There's definitely a problem with the plugin, as far as I can ascertain, in that, amongst other things, the dropdown menu remains dropped down - it used to go away once clicked as it does for all other Checks. My entire system gets sluggish while the process is working. It's not too bad with 3-5 books, so I've been doing that.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #744
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
...should be able to use author_sort in the jacket tempate, no switching needed and much easier to maintain...
Thanks for the suggestion. My jacket template is customised to suit me, but the author sort needs to be uniform for modifying it in the template to be of any use. Swap FN/LN enables you to (when working as it used to for me) to swap things either way in an instant.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #745
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Can I ask, why you are swapping FN,LN around so much? There may be an easier way to achieve what you're after
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #746
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just for the giggle, I used the QC PI to swap last & first names on 137 authors, 181 books, 36 books had videos of 3-5GB - it was done in a second or two as I watched the author folders change before my very own eyes in my file manager. Given all the files were renamed I conclude that the files are moved using hardlinks, either by calibre itself or the file system - if they had been copying it would have taken about 4m40s

I conclude that there is nothing wrong with the QC PI, its working the same today as it was last week, last month... That one user in say 10% of 3.5M (Usage Statistics) has a performance problem, suggests to me that the problem is localised to that user's environment.

Hoods7070 if the drive that your library is sitting on is a FAT 32 drive, then swapping names will take longer because the actual files are copied and renamed. On an NTFS drive its done via a hardlink create/rename and hardlink delete which all happens in the MFT which is preallocated space and contiguous sectors - and hardlinks are very small, 128 bytes rings a bell - MFT entries are not sector bound.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #747
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Thanks Ducks - none of the above, unfortunately. DB is a few books weightier, no more. Only one tag per book. I maintain a very tight ship here in terms of defrags etc., and after being frustrated by slower Calibre generally with my slower laptop I have done everything suggested in the general Calibre thread. Swap FN/LN used to be lightning fast and therefore more than useful and used continually by me.

Example, today I modified 100 epubs with Modify epub, and timed it as it uses the same temp location procedure, and it did the job in a couple of minutes - no problem at all with that speed. To exchange Author FN/Last Name on the same books took 7.5 minutes. Unacceptably slow, especially as I change them back again after the modify epub. As I said to Grant I've been doing that forever and it has never been less than very quick.

There's definitely a problem with the plugin, as far as I can ascertain, in that, amongst other things, the dropdown menu remains dropped down - it used to go away once clicked as it does for all other Checks. My entire system gets sluggish while the process is working. It's not too bad with 3-5 books, so I've been doing that.
I use this PI all the time (flippin names, formatting initials, is a common usage for me) 1 Minute tops on a lowly P4 for 5-10 books. and that is with MR up on Firefox , My Mail and NNTP Newsreader running in background.

Something is way south on your rig. Check your PATH for circular loops (same exact folder more than once ).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #748
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Can I ask, why you are swapping FN,LN around so much? There may be an easier way to achieve what you're after
You can. The answer is because my workflow is to insert the book title and author into a jacket. Books come with varying FN/LNs. So before I add a jacket, the author name is put into FN/LN if necessary. After the jacket has been added, I revert the author name to LN/FN - the order I prefer on my HDD.

At the moment, because I am replacing hundreds of lost tags/comments, my database, as represented in the Calibre booklist columns, has predominantly LN/FN. Although the jacket data are still IN my books, they have vanished from my book list. This means I am having to replace them in the booklist. To ensure uniformity, I am also replacing the jackets. I did ask the question in a separate thread and it seemed there was no way to automate this process. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #749
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use this PI all the time (flippin names, formatting initials, is a common usage for me) 1 Minute tops on a lowly P4 for 5-10 books. and that is with MR up on Firefox , My Mail and NNTP Newsreader running in background.

Something is way south on your rig. Check your PATH for circular loops (same exact folder more than once ).
Yep, I agree. But I can't find anything. See my reply to Red.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #750
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Just for the giggle, I used the QC PI to swap last & first names on 137 authors, 181 books, 36 books had videos of 3-5GB - it was done in a second or two as I watched the author folders change before my very own eyes in my file manager. Given all the files were renamed I conclude that the files are moved using hardlinks, either by calibre itself or the file system - if they had been copying it would have taken about 4m40s

I conclude that there is nothing wrong with the QC PI, its working the same today as it was last week, last month... That one user in say 10% of 3.5M (Usage Statistics) has a performance problem, suggests to me that the problem is localised to that user's environment.

Hoods7070 if the drive that your library is sitting on is a FAT 32 drive, then swapping names will take longer because the actual files are copied and renamed. On an NTFS drive its done via a hardlink create/rename and hardlink delete which all happens in the MFT which is preallocated space and contiguous sectors - and hardlinks are very small, 128 bytes rings a bell - MFT entries are not sector bound.

BR
Well, I agree. From all reports from responders to this thread it's clear the issue is from my end. That's why I've been asking for and taking note of most suggestions. I still believe Calibre has a part to play, though, even though there's nothing to be done about that.

Probable culprit No. 1 - bloated database
I'm sure theducks has it right about my database changing size.

Just for a giggle, to quote Red, using my daughter's library of 202 books, 15 authors, from a USB3 FAT32 portable drive, I ran QC FN/LN swap:
- 45 seconds to apply the on the whole library from my husband's always slow i3 (USB2) laptop
- 30 seconds on my (USB3) laptop
- 30 seconds on my PC. However, interestingly, only 20 seconds after I removed the main database library. Perfectly acceptable, but not as fast as I remember it being.

Anyway, that pretty much proves the point - a) it's not the number of books you're working on that counts, but the size of the library being worked on. b) clearly Calibre has a limit, and c) the speed is affected by what other libraries are registered on Calibre.

Of interest and by compoarison is that my accounting software (Quicken), which I have also migrated to the laptop, has 12 years' worth of very detailed data, with umpteen "tag" equivalents, is unaffected by being on the laptop. So I assumed Calibre would handle a big database as easily.

Possible culprit No. 2: AV
I have changed nothing on the PC, but my AV HAS been updated and the new version is also on my laptop. I am going to call them and ask them how to correctly whitelist Calibre. I think I HAVE, but I will double check.

Unlikely culprits:
The laptop HDD is ATA NTFS, my PC drives are standard SATA NTFS 72s. The only difference between mine and perhaps the major percentage of other systems is that I have all my data, including Windows system data folders, on a separate partition (laptop) or drive (PC) but that really shouldn't make any difference, as my drives are all set to 00 response time.

Anyway, I won't belabour this any further - it is what it is. I will divide my library up into countries and likely reads, and see if that makes the laptop better. I hope so as that's what I bought it for. Ironically, I HAD split my database as above, but changed my mind and put it all back into one again, and that's how I lost my tags ...

Thanks for all help offered - gratefully received.