Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Fortunately it is not difficult to install unicode support for the 505. But yes, Sony should have provided us with a firmware update for that long ago. Especially considering that they are a Japanese company, there really is no good excuse.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
James M JAmes
James M JAmes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
eReaders must be more flexible to meet modern needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
There should be no need to do that. Further, there are almost no devices that default in traditional Chinese, though there are some that do default to simplified for the Mainland market.

I'm a former gadget nerd and knew from the start that there would be tweaking involved, but many people don't have any clue why their books won't display. Basic international character support is something that should come to be expected on these kinds of devices. Not having it is just an extra insult to ebook readers.
I could not agree more - it's 2013 & I have a Sony T2 which I had to import from the US as, in Japan, Sony will not sell an eReader which works in English.
I've been going back and forth with Sony for months (since before my purchase). The only suggestion they have is to use PDF format instead of EPUB.

EReaders are ideal for those of us who live in (or even only travel to) a country where English language books are pretty-much unavailable. I'm totally tired of electronic devices which run with a Japanese os.

Now I can read the instructions in English but can't even display my Japanese address unless converted to PDF.
James M JAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
James M JAmes
James M JAmes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Displaying Japanese on a Sony PRS-T2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Fortunately it is not difficult to install unicode support for the 505. But yes, Sony should have provided us with a firmware update for that long ago. Especially considering that they are a Japanese company, there really is no good excuse.
Hans TWN - if you're still around!
I'm trying to display Japanese fonts on my Sony T2, you mention that unicode support is available for the 505 - is that also true for the T2? How would I go about fixing my problem?
James M JAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's also a problem for cookbooks that use single character fractions like ¾.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #20
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by James M JAmes View Post
Hans TWN - if you're still around!
I'm trying to display Japanese fonts on my Sony T2, you mention that unicode support is available for the 505 - is that also true for the T2? How would I go about fixing my problem?
T2 already jailbreaked. It should be able to use unicode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9_G6QQemUQ
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
utf-8