Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
jkeinonen
jkeinonen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, tablet
Question Warning Attribute 'lang' is not declared, docx to epub, with FlightCrew

Hi!

This is my first post here. I read the stickies, don't think I need to attach files, searched but didn't find a similar case.

My problem is that when converting with Calibre (2.68 64-bit) from Word 2016 docx (Windows 7 64-bit) to epub, I get warnings on FlightCrew 0.72 of the kind "attribute 'lang' is not declared for element html (or i, or p)".

The warning does not affect the usability of the epub. However, the two biggest e-bookstores in the Finnish market, Elisa Kirja and iTunes, seem to have a similar validation system, so the warnings have to be fixed. I have been able to do that manually.

Here is a what the second line of index_split_000.html reads like:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="fi" xml:lang="fi">

Not understanding code very much, I have by trial and error learned that, in Calibre Edit mode, removing the part lang="fi" will make the warning go away.

Using the Find/Replace tool, in All text files mode, it has been quite easy to remove all the unwished lang="fi". But the recent conversion job had quotes in many other languages, leading to lang="de" etc. causing extra work and human error risk.

So, my questions and notes are:

1) Is there a switch or button in Calibre that I have missed, which could fix the mini-problem?

2) The "blame" probably lies at Microsoft as always, but if someone knows if there is a setting in Word 2016 that "kills" the wrong type of language marking, I'm happy to learn that instead.

3) Regarding the new multi-language issue vs. just one language (Finnish): I probably should, in Word 2016, select Ctrl-A and force everything to one language. So that's another workaround.

Finally, a huge thanks to Kovid Goyal and everyone helping with developing Calibre. I made a donation when I started using it, and will make another one if this issue proceeds.
jkeinonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use the search and replace settings in the conversion dialog, no need to involve the editor at all.

Code:
Search:<([^>+]) lang=\S+([^>]*)>
Replace: <\1 \2>
Should do the trick.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
jkeinonen
jkeinonen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, tablet
Thank you Kovid. I'm really afraid of using anything that looks like code, because I am totally amateur in that area, but I will have a deep look at this when I can concentrate!
jkeinonen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docx input, epub, flightcrew