Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Cool Dingo 1.0 – Things the Release Notes Don’t mention

Now that I've had 24 hours to put Dingo through its paces and check out all the nooks and cranies, I've found quite a few treats not mentioned in the Release Notes.

There are two major surprises in this release that the Release notes don’t mention. I'll post them in another thread shortly.

Hear are a number of smaller treats that I’ve found not explicitly detailed in the Release Notes:

- if you tap and hold a PDF in your Library, you’ll get a choice to open it on the eInk side, or the LCD side. Doesn’t seem to work for EPUBs though (maybe because I don’t have an EPUB app installed on the LCD side…).

- the “Recent items list now pops up immediately when you tap the “Reader app icon on the LCD side, allowing you quickly to pick the book you want to resume reading (previously you had to invoke the “Recent tool bar button on the eInk side). The “Recent items list is also clearable now. Same applies for the “Journal app.

- if you’re in the Library, you can tap-and-hold a book and pick the new “Table of Contents function. This pops open the “Table of Contents (or “info) view on the LCD side (which itself is not new). The nice thing is you can do this without opening the Reader, or opening the book. A great way to thumb through your Library quickly, looking for the book containing the chapter you’re thinking about, and you can tap a chapter or annotation entry to open the book on the eInk side at that point. A great usability feature.

- you can now “Close a journal or ebook by using “File - “Quit via the eInk menus.

Last edited by borisb; 09-03-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Corrected "Navigate" function to "Table of Contents"

Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
toddhauck
Edge User

Something else I dont remember seeing in the notes:

Apps open fullscreen by default. Even my apps I got from the Android Marketplace via the emulator now open fullscreen without needing to undergo the conversion process. I have been trying to get the converter working for a couple weeks now without success.

However last night, I opened up my Rhapsody app and was shocked when I realized it was fullscreen instead of the tiny little box it was previously. I went through all my marketplace apps and so far, they all open fullscreen.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Yes - this is a particularly excellent surprise feature

Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
rcool
Edge User

new icon

Does anyone know what the icon in the upper right to the left of the battery level icon, that looks like an airplane, is? Can't see any mention in the new Help file or other Forum posts.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
janvangastel
Edge User

To the left of the battery level icon I see the wireless internet connection icon, not someting like an airplane.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool View Post
Does anyone know what the icon in the upper right to the left of the battery level icon, that looks like an airplane, is? Can't see any mention in the new Help file or other Forum posts.
Yes - this is something new. It appears when you have both the wifi and bluetooth turned off, which is typical called "Airplane Mode". Note that if you're on an airplane and are asked to turn off all radios (wifi, etc.), I recommend using the hardware switch at the top left edge of the Reader side, as it's possible to accidently enable them via software if the hardware switch is left in the "On" position.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
RomanHuff
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhauck View Post
Something else I dont remember seeing in the notes:

Apps open fullscreen by default. Even my apps I got from the Android Marketplace via the emulator now open fullscreen without needing to undergo the conversion process. I have been trying to get the converter working for a couple weeks now without success.

However last night, I opened up my Rhapsody app and was shocked when I realized it was fullscreen instead of the tiny little box it was previously. I went through all my marketplace apps and so far, they all open fullscreen.
No way! So cool.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
- if you’re in the Library, you can tap-and-hold a book and pick the new “Navigate function. This pops open the “Table of Contents (or “info) view on the LCD side (which itself is not new). The nice thing is you can do this without opening the Reader, or opening the book. A great way to thumb through your Library quickly, looking for the book containing the chapter you’re thinking about, and you can tap a chapter or annotation entry to open the book on the eInk side at that point. A great usability feature.
I saw this in the video tutorial, but it doesn't work on my eDGe. Maybe only with purchased books from Entourage? (I have purchased books from Bol.com: no "navigate")

Old 09-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
I saw this in the video tutorial, but it doesn't work on my eDGe. Maybe only with purchased books from Entourage? (I have purchased books from Bol.com: no "navigate")
I think the book has to be added to the library. If it's just sitting in a folder, you can open it on the Reader, but it's not part of the library.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
I think the book has to be added to the library. If it's just sitting in a folder, you can open it on the Reader, but it's not part of the library.
My books are in the library, but no "navigate"

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Try "Table of Contents" instead - looks like they renamed it. I'll update my original post.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Try "Table of Contents" instead - looks like they renamed it. I'll update my original post.
That's the one. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Seems a free upgrade to Docs-To-Go 3.0 is included, too! See http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...Docs-To-Go-3.0!.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
sjarrel
Edge User

I did not notice before: Of course the native browser is renewed (with toolbar and arrows etc). But if you tab the "Store-icon" the EE-site starts and stays in the old browser without the new toolbar. And via the "menu-button" you can close the browser. I like it (specially when I saw that the new browser closes itself a lot of times, like the old browser did, so Dingo did not revolve this problem)