Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Well, Step One is rather broken (through no fault of the PDF author) in the sense that the suggested program is now no longer freeware and you have to buy the program in order to save the font with the new name.

And the program costs $79. So much for that.

Gonna try Font Forge now. *sigh*

EDIT: Yeah, Font Forge isn't gonna work for me. A big ol collection of files and folders and no explanation on how to use / install / interact with them that I can find.

DOUBLE EDIT: Thank you.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=231

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, and.... Step 3 of the guide doesn't seem to work for me. I've copied over the SD card files to an SD card and slapped it into the device, and nothing happens. Sony reader just sits there and looks at me like, "what?"

I turned the device off and booted it up with the SD card in, still no joy. Maybe because this is a guide for the 505 model and I have a 950? I dunno why I thought this was device agnostic, but maybe it isn't. Super disappointed, though.

EDIT: Moved to the Sony thread since this is no longer a general discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21#post1569821

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Gonna try Font Forge now. *sigh*

EDIT: Yeah, Font Forge isn't gonna work for me. A big ol collection of files and folders and no explanation on how to use / install / interact with them that I can find.

DOUBLE EDIT: Thank you.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=231
If you are really interested in installing FontForge, just let me know.

"All" you have to do is to install Cygwin. Cygwin is basically a Linux environment (compiler, libraries, userland utilities (such as vi text editor, sed, awk, less, ...) for Windows. Part of the Cygwin is X-window environment for Windows that will let you use Windows version of FontForge. Took me some time to figure out how to use FointForge on Windows at work - and I already had Cygwin installed and I already knew how to work with FontForge on Linux.

Another option is to install a Linux distribution (such as Mint Linux or Ubuntu) alongside your Windows. Installing FontForge under Linux is usually just a few clicks in package manager.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Not free, but Myriad Pro is very nice. I don't know how it looks on a reader, but there are a lot of weights to choose from. It comes bundled with a lot of Adobe products.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

So.... Good news is that PRS+ worked! YAY! So I can now load any font I want to my device. Yay! *happy dance*

Bad news is... they look different on my reader than they do on the computer screen. Whoever called that wrinkle was definitely right -- this is a trial and error thing.

EDIT: I'm also not sure how to tell if a book is over-riding my fonts or not. Where/How does one look in the epub file for font overrides? Thanks.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-06-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Bad news is... they look different on my reader than they do on the computer screen. Whoever called that wrinkle was definitely right -- this is a trial and error thing.
Deja Vu Sans (last download package on the list here) has an ExtraLight variant that could work if your reader can be tricked by renaming the variants. I'm attaching a screenshot of how it looks in preview on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deja Vu Sans.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	72413  
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Thank you.

I'm now convinced that at least half of the books I'm opening are over-riding the font I've picked, and until I can strip that out of the book CSS, I can't really make a sensible decision. I'm going to heave over to the EPUB forum and start doing some learning. (I hope.)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm now convinced that at least half of the books I'm opening are over-riding the font I've picked, and until I can strip that out of the book CSS, I can't really make a sensible decision. I'm going to heave over to the EPUB forum and start doing some learning. (I hope.)
there's a thread from today or yesterday about removing embedded fonts. I'll edit when I find it.

Edit: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135769
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #24
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
there's a thread from today or yesterday about removing embedded fonts. I'll edit when I find it.

Edit: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135769
You are incredible, thank you! This is just what I need/want.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
You are incredible, thank you! This is just what I need/want.
You're welcome, but I only knew about it because I've been on here nearly all freakin' day. I don't think there's a recent thread that I haven't read except in some of the other reader subforums.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bad news is... they look different on my reader than they do on the computer screen.
Told you so ...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #27
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Here's a link to a thread where I attached a couple of word templates you can use to quickly create PDF's to fit your sony screen and try out several fonts in one document without worrying about CSS and the whole EPUB malarkey...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128478

I've pretty much settled on Fontin, as it's a good 'thick' lined serif font - and I like the letter 'g' in Fontin... stumbled onto Gill Sans which comes free with a Mac and have developed some weird font fetish for a good looking 'g'...

Anyway, hope it helps - I went down the Boroda hack route on my 350.

Coops

Last edited by Coops; 06-07-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: in order to include the link, doh!
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #28
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Kacir, yes, you did! Although I wish so much that you were wrong. I love Calibri on any computer ever, but on the Sony ereader it just looks....... like the text is shouting at me. Ah well.

Coops, thank you! I'll try this out right away.

Also, you're right -- Coops -- in that the gap between the S text and M text is quite large! Has anyone worked out a "Small and a Half" size that Sony could support, that you know of? I'm curious.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I love Calibri on any computer ever, but on the Sony ereader it just looks....... like the text is shouting at me. Ah well.
I am pretty sure you will find the right font for you. As I told you ;-), it will require lots of experiments.
Recently I am reading using that Ubuntu Font Family. I didn't like it (much) on my PC, but on my reader it looks "just right" (TM).
Have you tried Gentium Book Basic?

Unfortunately, such experiments are much more complicated on your reader than on mine (PB360). I just load bunch of *.ttf (or even *.otf) files to /system/fonts/ folder on my reader and I can select any font at any size (with step 1 point) and even any line spacing for text.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #30
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Oddly enough, there seems to be something I'm missing. The embedded fonts that I removed where in some cases Charis.

I downloaded Charis and tried using it on the reader just now for comparison, and the same books (now, without the embedded font) look different on the reader.

I'm thinking there's still something I need to modify in the css settings on the reader. Something that is making everything very heavily bolded.