Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
tinkerwinker
tinkerwinker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
USB Host (OTG)

Hello all,
looks like the OTG on the Kobo Touch/Glo doesn't have any particular problem, it "just" must be enabled in the kernel (of course the usb cable must be powered).
I spent the night looking around on some way to achieve that, but I'm not a developer and didn't achieve much.
Do you think it would be doable for the android OS of the kobo touch/mini/glo?

I found a kernel image with otg (https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000) that should work for thekobo mini and I'm willing to experimenti it, but I don't know how to change my kernel using android, the one from MarekGibek (thanks man!), if someone could point out some resources to do that 'll do my homework. All the docs around use a recovery, which you don't have on the touch.

Those guys have it enabled in Touch, Mini and Glo: https://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1521

More about OTG and Kobo Mini (GPS, MicroSD, PC and so on with OTG): http://tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20USB%20GPS%20cables.html

Thanks guys!
tinkerwinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If there was a way to make it work just by loading another module on the original firmware, I would be interested.

I'd rather not replace the kernel entirely... that's fine for total conversions like XCSoar which is no longer related to ereading whatsoever; I'm not sure how well it would work for the original firmware.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If there was a way to make it work just by loading another module on the original firmware, I would be interested.

I'd rather not replace the kernel entirely... that's fine for total conversions like XCSoar which is no longer related to ereading whatsoever; I'm not sure how well it would work for the original firmware.
I did this on a Kobo Touch. Everything worked nicely, including the original software. The only thing is that you have to restart with the original kernel in order to be able to access the device as usb storage.

Last edited by tshering; 08-05-2016 at 09:10 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
tinkerwinker

That's very nice to hear, tshering! Did you use this kernel with android or nickel?

Would you mind sharing a bit of the howto? I've never replaced a kernel before and without recovery I'm a bit lost.
What kernel image did you use? How did you flash it?

You should add this trick to your signature sourceries!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used the kernel from the XCSoar package on the one hand, and the one from the kobo firmware update package on the other hand. I can post the details when I am home at my machine (I am travelling right now and will be back this or next week). You can also see in the XCSoar's rcS file how to switch between two kernels.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
luppolone
luppolone began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
@tshering: do you mean that you managed to enable the OTG under android or under nickel?

It's not clear because you said: "Everything worked nicely, including the original software."

Thanks.
luppolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luppolone View Post
@tshering: do you mean that you managed to enable the OTG under android or under nickel?

It's not clear because you said: "Everything worked nicely, including the original software."

Thanks.
I was talking about linux (not android). I should have stated this more clearly. But I thought it is evident since I responded to Frostschutz's remark. My point was, that you can use the kernel provided in the XCSoar package, and still use the device as an ereader. I installed the XCSoar application in a way that I can call it from KSM the same way as I call the reading softwares (KOReader, CoolReader, nickel), and so on. And I have a script to switch between the original kernel (usb-storage support) and the XCSoar kernel (OTG support), since it seems that you cannot have both supported at the same time.
Since you want to use android, you need an android kernel with enabled OTG support. The whole discussion went a little off, since it assumed the distinction between android and nickel, instead of android and "regular" linux.

Last edited by tshering; 08-09-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
luppolone
luppolone began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks!

Do you know if there is a chance to implement it in android kernel?
luppolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luppolone View Post
Thanks!

Do you know if there is a chance to implement it in android kernel?
I am pretty sure that this should be doable, but I do not know much about linux nor android.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
tinkerwinker

I'm upping this, anyone managed to have otg working with kobo android? As a sysadmin would awesome to use ssh from the kobo and work completely on eink!