Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@excaliber - the XMP code is put there by the built in calibre Embed Metadata tool - you probably need to add the tool to a toolbar or assign it a shortcut (I have it as ctrl+e). I don't know if it gets injected into the PDF when it's exported - probably.

When you edit metadata in calibre it is written to the database but it is NOT written to the library format files - PDF, EPUB etc. A significant number of calibre users prefer to leave the library format files in their original state.

It is written into exported format files that are sent, saved or mailed. In the past the 'normal' way to get the current metadata into a library format file was to do a like-to-like conversion; but the Embed Metadata (introduced a year or two ago) tool is faster and safer, particularly for PDF's.

This ==>> PDF-XChange Viewer, AFAIK it doesn't run native on Linux, it might under Wine.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #17
excaliber
Connoisseur
excaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110
@BetterRed: OK, I have found Embed Metadata tool and it works great! I can see the basic metadata as well as all extra metadata from Calibre.
I know "PDF-XChange Viewer", I use it on Windows.

If I am not wrong Zotero fetches metadata from google scholar. If there was a functioning plugin for fetching metadata from google scholar or other site then we could enter all this kind of docs directly into Calibre. As I mentioned before there is actually such a plugin but at least for me it doesn't work. When I click at "Configure selected source" I get errors like these:

calibre 2.59 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-22-generic-x86_64-with-debian-jessie-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-22-generic', '#40~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 13 17:27:45 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'jessie/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Clean Metadata && Count Pages && Author Book Count && Reading List && View Manager && Search The Internet && Generate Cover && Find Duplicates && Drop Search Results && Get PDF Metadata && Import List && BOL_DE && Walk Search History && Get DJVU Metadata && Google Scholar && Diaps Editing Toolbag && MultiColumnSearch && Save To Format && Author Book Count Hierarchy && Favourites Menu && Annotations && Extract ISBN && User Category && Open With && Goodreads && English Noun Frequency && Recoll Full Text Search && Wiki Reader && Job Spy && Quality Check && Quick Preferences && Consolidate All Library Metadata && Manage Series && Library Codes && Astro-ph
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 329, in configure_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 334, in do_config
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 274, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.googlescholar_metadata.__init __", line 35, in config_widget
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 179, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.googlescholar_metadata.config ", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

calibre, version 2.59.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name ConfigWidget
('Linux', '4.4.0-22-generic', '#40~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 13 17:27:45 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.9
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Clean Metadata && Count Pages && Author Book Count && Reading List && View Manager && Search The Internet && Generate Cover && Find Duplicates && Drop Search Results && Get PDF Metadata && Import List && BOL_DE && Walk Search History && Get DJVU Metadata && Google Scholar && Diaps Editing Toolbag && MultiColumnSearch && Save To Format && Author Book Count Hierarchy && Favourites Menu && Annotations && Extract ISBN && User Category && Open With && Goodreads && English Noun Frequency && Recoll Full Text Search && Wiki Reader && Job Spy && Quality Check && Quick Preferences && Consolidate All Library Metadata && Manage Series && Library Codes && Astro-ph
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 329, in configure_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 334, in do_config
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/metadata_sources.py", line 274, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.googlescholar_metadata.__init __", line 35, in config_widget
ImportError: cannot import name ConfigWidget

I have already installed python-qt4 on my machine. I don't know why the plugin complains. Maybe a developer could look into it.
excaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #18
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zotero Metadata Importer plug-in

@excaliber:

I am progressing with the new Zotero Metadata Importer plug-in, but I need some more real data to use to test with. Could you email me a new .csv file that contains the data for ~10 .pdf files, plus also those same .pdf files? Taken together, they should be broadly representative of most of your .pdf files in your Zotero.

Thanks.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
@BetterRed: OK, I have found Embed Metadata tool and it works great! I can see the basic metadata as well as all extra metadata from Calibre.
I know "PDF-XChange Viewer", I use it on Windows.

If I am not wrong Zotero fetches metadata from google scholar. If there was a functioning plugin for fetching metadata from google scholar or other site then we could enter all this kind of docs directly into Calibre. As I mentioned before there is actually such a plugin but at least for me it doesn't work. When I click at "Configure selected source" I get errors like these:

Python 2.7.9
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 179, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.googlescholar_metadata.config ", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

calibre, version 2.59.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name ConfigWidget
Python 2.7.9
ImportError: cannot import name ConfigWidget

I have already installed python-qt4 on my machine. I don't know why the plugin complains. Maybe a developer could look into it.
Calibre uses its own Python installation. This includes Qt5. The plugin is old and has not been updated to Qt5. I've had a look at it and fixed this. I have attached this. It works at least to load and do a search. I have no idea if the results it returns are correct or not.

Edit: I should have looked more. The github site for the plugin says the author moved to Zotero, so hasn't continued with the plugin. I doubt if the version posted works and I have no interest in working on it. But, I'll leave it here in case someone is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip googlescholar-metadata-beta.zip (31.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by davidfor; 06-20-2016 at 09:35 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
excaliber
Connoisseur
excaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110
@davidfor: thanks for your fast reaction! I have tested your updated version of "google scholar" plugin and it works! The downside with it is that I have to enter manually at least a part of the title and and a part of the author so it can fetch metadata. With Zotero and Docear one can drag'n'drop files and with a click of a button all relevant metadata will be fetched for them. Although the success rate in my case was 30%-40% (files with correct metadata). Apart from that, Zotero was able to fetch more metadata than Calibre and Docear.
excaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Glad it is at least partly working. From my quick glance at the code, it is incomplete. I don't think it gets all the metadata and it is missing some of the integration with calibre. Someone might be interested in completing it. But, the big thing is how the actual data sources compare. If Google Scholar doesn't have the metadata, then the plugin cannot retrieve it. If the others are better sources, then they would be better to use.

For the drag'n'drop, you should be able to drop the book in the calibre library. If it already has the basic details such as title and author, then you shouldn't need to type anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zotero Metadata Importer plug-in

Refer to: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275476

Last edited by DaltonST; 06-22-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: ZMI
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote