Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
actually a lot less than I thought it was gonna have in there. 184 aint none but meh.

Encouraging
It is enough to "apt-get" anything else from the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS repository.

To make that work, I will have to mangle the "apt-get install" thingy to munge the executable and library headers + pre-pend our /mnt/us/esys tree to the installation point.

Which in turn means I will probably have to learn how to handle the snake (Python).

I expect the LuaJit.FFI interface to also help in that cause.

= = = =

Is this all worthwhile ?
I am not sure but this has one big advantage over running a distro in a loop mounted chroot - - -

Still have runtime access to all the existing Amazon system functions.
(Which can't be done from inside a chroot.)

Doing it all from FAT32 is just PFM.
(Entry #3: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PFM -
it dates back to before networking was even a wet dream in DARPA's eye.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2014 at 10:27 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #62
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
well said.

not much else to be said really. It's great idea and like most great ideas will be buckets of sweat to make work. ah the joy of effort-based reward.

I hear there is some
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This (v-2.0.3) of LuaJit is still generating Rpi compatible code (ARMv5-VFP).

Two articles This article (old, from LuaJit-2.0.0-Beta era):
http://cellux.github.io/articles/int...luajit-part-1/

Just use BR 2014.05 rather than the BR 2012.11.1 mentioned in the article.

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral

Ah, something is finally easy!

Since FAT32 does not support symbolic links;
We need to use loader script snippets to go from the link-time generated library name to the versioned library name ( libwhatever.so -> libwhatever.so.99 ).

The LuaJit documentation describes the: whatever -> libwhatever.so conversion in detail.
Without any mention of loader script handling.

**Sometimes you just get lucky:**
http://repo.or.cz/w/luajit-2.0.git/b.../src/lj_clib.c
line 80 and following.

tl;dr: The LuaJit library loader already recognizes: GROUP( .... ) and INPUT( .... ) loader scripts and uses them as in-direction to the actual filename.

- - - -

Edit:
Just from code reading (not testing) it looks like GROUP( ... ) is broken and INPUT( ... ) is broken for more than a single filename.
But we only need INPUT( ... ) with a single filename.

Last edited by knc1; 07-07-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral

Project completion delayed by the demands of "life" on free time available.
Delayed, but not forgotten.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
knc1
Going Viral

The required patches to Buildroot to support this development project are pending for inclusion in the 2014.08 release.

This is good news (tm) -
Means all that anyone will need is a copy of the project's BR config file(s) and a copy of the project's post-image processing script to duplicate any of this work.

Which of course I will post in this thread when it is all ready.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Debian/Jessie packages

A bit early in the release plan, but a new thread to describe "how to do it":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243061
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #68
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The required patches to Buildroot to support this development project are pending for inclusion in the 2014.08 release.
- - - - -
The Buildroot changes have been committed for the 2014.08 release.

As a requirement for creating a base filesystem for a target device (by cross-compiling), BR must also build some host tools.

Now, BR will build a copy of patchelf for your host machine.
Which can be used by a user-supplied, post image-build script to do the fixups required.

Although the original bug in BR concerning ld.so token handling could not be fixed. . . .
That problem has been documented and the above host tool provides a work-around.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

With the intent of installing **binary** packages from a standard distribution in a non-standard place, the Kindle's non-writable /etc directory needs to be dealt with.

Note:
The Kindle's /etc directory **can** be written too, but we don't want to alter Amazon's portion of the system image.

One possible answer to be investigated:
http://www.openadk.org/docs/html/man...on_file_system

- - - - -

Our previous and current Kindle add-ons usually handle this situation by copying the original contents to a directory in the user storage sub-tree and then "mount -bind ..." that back over the source directory.

Over time, it has been discovered that the kernel builds provided with the Kindles have a relatively low limit for "-bind" mounts.
It would be nice to avoid that limitation here.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
One possible answer to be investigated:
http://www.openadk.org/docs/html/man...on_file_system
Another possibility:
http://git.korsgaard.com/cgi-bin/git....git;a=summary
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Just by code reading (no run-time testing), this one looks like the closest to what we need to support **unmodified** (ones that want to write configuration info. into /etc) distribution packages.

The author, Peter Korsgaard, is the lead maintainer of the Buildroot project.
If he doesn't know how to write embedded systems support firmware, embedded systems are in a world of hurt.

Last edited by knc1; 08-09-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #72
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Oh knc1, this toolset just gives me so much more ideas for implementation on older devices which I adore! Thanks for being, man!

@NiLuJe: Why are you doing this to me?!!!! Seems viable, eh?...

I'll be around.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Oh knc1, this toolset just gives me so much more ideas for implementation on older devices which I adore! Thanks for being, man!

@NiLuJe: Why are you doing this to me?!!!! Seems viable, eh?...

I'll be around.
I intend to update this thread with another release (RSN).
("soon" == some number of months).

I have the run-time path handling in LuaJit fixed, next release will also have Python in the base package.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #74
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
I intend to update this thread with another release (RSN).
("soon" == some number of months).

I have the run-time path handling in LuaJit fixed, next release will also have Python in the base package.
Boy, oh boy... I have so much to read...
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Boy, oh boy... I have so much to read...
There is a back-story to this, in addition to "too busy" - - - -

Buildroot's normal operation is to download source packages from the project repository of each package.

But to "fix" LuaJit I needed to maintain a modified version of the original sources.
Not to worry, Buildroot has that requirement handled (in the manual) -
You can specify a local directory as the source tree of each and any package (a source dir override).

But I discovered it was broken in the Buildroot infrastructure (at least how I wanted to use it).

That problem has been fixed and the next release of Buildroot will be around the end of this month.

- - - -

Which (**should**) get me to the point I want to reach - -
Only need to post the fairly small config files for Buildroot and with those, anyone can duplicate what I do -
and then continue in their own direction from that point.

- - - -

Oops - except for that "write to a read-only etc" handler.
That will still need some work/testing.

Tags
armhf