Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #121
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
How can reading not be reading? Some types of reading may be different than other types. I feel that I must take a firm stand that reading is reading. Unless there's some weird mathematical case where a set can be not equal to itself. And, if so, damn those mathematicians anyway.
Read a bit more careful. For example I never claimed that all interpretations of "reading is reading" are false. I actually did not claim than any interpretation was false. I said something else.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #122
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Read a bit more careful. For example I never claimed that all interpretations of "reading is reading" are false. I actually did not claim than any interpretation was false. I said something else.
I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just playing with the "reading is reading" phrase. I do disagree with the posted article but that was a billion pages ago.

I would be curious to know if the article's author would be willing to make the logical extension...that quadriplegics can't read. There are a bunch of people out there who are unable to hold a book in their hands.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #123
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I would be curious to know if the article's author would be willing to make the logical extension...that quadriplegics can't read. There are a bunch of people out there who are unable to hold a book in their hands.

Some of those opposed to e-books will grudgingly admit e-boks have a place for people who can't hold a paper book, or whose vision requires the adjustable font. But if you're going to claim that reading an e-book is not reading, then you have no choice - if you want to be rational - to claim that the quadraplegic using an e-reader is in fact not reading at all. If reading from an e-book is not reading, it doesn't suddenly become reading just because you can't use a paper book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #124
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
The article was pretentious and boring in my opinion. The irony was that the author had a sentence that read " books hold our attention". Sadly, his article failed to hold mine. It read like an undergraduate college essay.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #125
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
(...)The irony was that the author had a sentence that read " books hold our attention". Sadly, his article failed to hold mine. (...)
Probably that is because it isn't printed on paper
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert