Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Possible Solution to No Volume Buttons

I haven't seen this app mentioned, so excuse me if this is a duplicate.

I'm not really bothered by the Fire's lack of hardware volume buttons, but it is a bit clumsy to drag down the top bar and change the volume, especially in YouTube as it interrupts the video and there's some delay as the video reloads.

I saw this volume control app mentioned on XDA Developers (thanks to Lkr721993 wherever you are). It places a persistent and partially transparent slider on the edge of the screen. Sliding your finger up and down, or tapping, changes the volume without interfering with what you're doing.

You can turn the transparency all the way down so the slider is invisible but still works. I really like that you can make it completely unobtrusive. If the app you're using needs that area of the screen you can move the slider somewhere else.

There are other options I haven't tried yet, and it would be nice if a long click brought up the configuration screen rather than having to relaunch the app, but so far I'm very well pleased with it.

Unfortunately the app isn't available at Amazon. You'll need to do the install from Google market, backup the apk and transfer it to your Fire to install.

Volume control by RubberBigPepper

Last edited by carld; 01-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One solution is for app developers to stop assuming the existence of hardware buttons and bring volume controls into the app, where they can be accessed conveniently. Most of the audio apps I have for iOS do this, even though all iOS devices have hardware volume controls. Indeed, I use both methods to adjust volume.

I've been using a headset with my Kindle Fire, one designed for iOS devices, with remote control buttons for volume, pause/play, skip (and which, by the way, adds ability for voice recording to Fire). Seems like Fire software could be updated to support this sort of thing, though Apple may have some patent to contend with.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
thanks - I'm going to try this app.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Has anyone seen this anywhere other than at the Android market? I've looked with no success, but I'd like to give it a try. It's a free app.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just got it from the 1mobile market. They have a bunch with same name. Keep clicking on app title to open io details to find the one with the same developer.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I don't see how to use it once installed. No help. I changed some setting then went out. I don't see any indicator of the virtual volume button anywhere.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not sure why it's not showing up, but try running the app, and make sure that the adjust transparency sliders are set somewhere above zero. Then turn off Auto Hide Indicator if it's on. Check Select Alignment and set it where you want the slider to show up and click Enable Indicator. That should cause it to pop up.

Last edited by carld; 01-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I downloaded from 1mobile and installed it. Salsaguy, try setting the transparency all the way up until you find it. I left both options unchecked and set the control on the right middle.

Last edited by deannah; 01-03-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: to add comment
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Click the upper right hand corner and the volume control appears. ONE TAP does it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Maybe you have to click "enable" at the bottom for it to show up.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll give this a go ASAP.

I haven't been missing the controls all that much and I'm inclined to think that it hasn't been a showstopper for a majority of folks or the KF would not have been bought in the first place perhaps OR perhaps more would be returned as a result especially if it was given as a gift and the receiver couldn't live without it.

I have some real nice pairs of earphones as research was done to ensure I purchased pairs that have high sensitivity and are closed/sealed to outside noise. I also have compact disc players, other tablets, and a portable DVD player so it was important for me to have good sets of earphones.

BUT of course who wouldn't want a perhaps nice and easy alternative to no volume buttons/controls to heighten their like of the KF even more?

Thanks for relaying the info to us. Amazon should be paying a commission to some of the folks here!

Last edited by robertc88; 01-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
johnpoz
johnpoz is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle fire
I have not tried it myself yet, but this seems to be url for it in the 1mobile market

http://www.1mobile.com/volume-control-150852.html

edit
Ok just installed this via dropped the above into my dropbox, and working great!! Thank YOU!! Put it top left for me, adjusted colors and trans and set autohide - still need to verify it starts after reboot. But yeah looks great so far - tried it on youtube videos and much better way to control volume that is for sure!

Last edited by johnpoz; 01-03-2012 at 02:21 PM.
johnpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link.

No problem on my end so far as I tried a few videos on various websites. The indicator is enabled and not distracting to me. I will leave it that way for awhile.

This will do nicely and where do a I send my payment?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Thanks all, for the heads-up, info and the download link. It's working great, and makes it so much more convenient to adjust volume levels!
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
robertc88
Fanatic

It is not showing anywhere after I shut down for awhile and restarted later. Did this happen to anyone else?