Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
daveed
daveed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hierarchical organization by subject

I'm new to Calibre and I'd like to categorize my books in an hierarchy based on their subject matter. For example, a book called "Creating Calibre Plugins with Python", could be categorized under: "Software > E-book Management > Calibre" AND/OR "Programming > Languages > Python", and possibly others.

The current tagging system tries to accomplish this somewhat but just doesn't cut it. Sometimes there will be tags like "Computers - programming", or "E-Book Management - Calibre". More commonly though, the tags will be comma separated terms with various descriptive levels (i.e. "Computers, programming, python, calibre, plugins, etc").

Because of all the inconsistencies in metadata, the "Tags" filter quickly becomes unruly. Ideally, I'd like to have some sort of subject list filter in the list of default filters.

Does anyone already have, or is working on, a solution for this? I don't have much experience with Python, but lots of experience with other languages and I may be interested in picking this up as a side project. Is this "plugin-worthy", or am I just not using Calibre correctly?
daveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have you tried using hierarchical tags? See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...roups-tutorial.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
daveed
daveed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Exactly

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
daveed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, hierarchical, hierarchy, organization, plugin