Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Disappearing files

Just when I was coming to rely on Calibre I discover that large chunks of my library have simply gone missing.

The books show up in the library display with title/author metadata present and an apparent size but there are no formats available - not surprising since the directories pointed to are empty.

These are books which have been successfully imported, converted and uploaded again - they were there and they were fine.

Further inspection suggests that basically all books in mobi format which were present in the library before the beginning of December 2009 have gone. Books added since that date appear untouched. There are books in lit format from before that date but I cannot say whether any lit books have gone. Many prc books are still there, too, so no idea whether any have gone. My guess is that it is only mobi.

As far as I am aware I have never touched the Calibre directory structure - I have only ever downloaded and installed new versions and everything has seemed fine.

OS is Vista 32.

Last edited by Argel; 02-14-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Further information
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't delete files unless you ask it to. And is certainly doesn't preferentially delete one format and not another. In fact it is designed ina manner such that once a book file is added to the library, it is never touched unless you change metadata, in which case it is copied to the new folder indicated by that metadata.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-14-2010 at 05:42 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Hmmm. Nevertheless the files have gone and I've never even looked at the Calibre directories before today. As to working out a way of deleting only mobi files, I wouldn't have a clue, much less a reason to try.

When you say change the metadata, would that include my habit of reversing first/second names in the author name slot as well as sort order after import?

Don't get me wrong, I love Calibre but the fact is that I've only ever used as a simple consumer so I don't think I've done anything clever or even unusual.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Sorry to hear of your problems. Have you tried searching the whole of your disk (not just calibre directories) for *.mobi to see if any of your lost items are somewhere strange?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems. Have you tried searching the whole of your disk (not just calibre directories) for *.mobi to see if any of your lost items are somewhere strange?
Thanks for the suggestion but I've searched for the specific files and no joy. Nothing is actually lost since I've always kept the original libraries of each format and have already re-imported them. I'm putting it down to a problem in upgrading or a glitch in a previous version.

The only practical consequence is that I've put back the day [year] when I start relying on Calibre alone to keep the library, just in case.
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check your Virus Vault and Log .
I suggest that you exclude the Calibre Librry folder (and All Subs), Further, I heartily recommend you make your Anti Virus ASK what to do when it discovers file x is a bad guy. I have not seen a lot of False Positives, but some would have destroyed any database usability .

Another Database sync killer is disk cache. Some pieces get written (Metadata in this case) and other pieces were in cache, waiting to be written to disk, when something went sour
Again, disable write behind caching. It exists to make you think you are done sooner than you are and give back control of your program (while it plays,'catch-up') .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you click the arrow next to the delete button, there's an option to delete only files of a specific format. That's really the only way I can think that this could have happened.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
When you click the arrow next to the delete button, there's an option to delete only files of a specific format. That's really the only way I can think that this could have happened.
Well all the stuff is now reinstalled and I'm going to assume that it happened when I upgraded after a long gap in December. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Well all the stuff is now reinstalled and I'm going to assume that it happened when I upgraded after a long gap in December. Thanks for listening.
I wouldn't be so quick to chalk this up to an upgrade glitch. If you do that you may make the same mistake again. In the past I have accidentally moved or deleted things I didn't mean to when I started cleaning items up via the search window.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in the hopes that whatever it was that caused this doesn't happen again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote