Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Children's book = BRIGHT colors, IMO. I do not like the newest choices as much.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oops, sorry. (noted)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

one last try with the rock background, and if this doesn't fly I'll revert back to green scales. (this durn story is giving me as much trouble to make a cover on as it is being to write. I hesitate to think of the troubles it's going to give me to come up with a good blurb. All this for a 0.99 story!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final maybe.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	106225  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My opinion is unchanged
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard

here's one with the scales,but the rock texture in the printing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final green small.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	106226  
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
here's one with the scales,but the rock texture in the printing.
The title font looks brighter on this version, and I think that's a good thing.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard

yeah, bright and fun is the goal.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a winner. I'm not totally sold on the bright green, but this is more a boy's story than a girl's story (and is somewhat more sophisticated than anything else I've done), so the hint of dragon will be a good thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
BeccaPrice
Wizard

artist woes

I'm not looking for help this time, just a cri de coeur. Other than my ToC woes in Scrivener, I'm all ready to publish the collection, Dragons and Dreams, and a single fairy story, The Seventh Bridge. (it's so very different from the other stories that it doesn't belong in the collection).

All I'm waiting on is the cover art.

and waiting and waiting and waiting.

I know the Seventh Bridge cover art won't be available until the second week in June, because the artist told me up front that's when she could get at it. But the artist for Dragons and Dreams has been promising me the cover art for a month and still not gotten to more than a sketch. What makes things worse is that he keeps posting on FB about all the other projects he's doing. He's a professional artist, and even though I offered to pay him for it, he's doing it for free, and I love the sketch he did, but I just want the art so I can publish and get it over with!

There will be interior art for the print version of Dragons and Dreams, but I don't mind that those are taking awhile, there will be 6 of them, and I don't mind not putting out the print version at the same time as the e version. But man, I really want to get the e version of D&D up... and just have it done with.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Maybe their other clients are paying them more, so they can get priority service?

Either way, I'd go to deviantArt and look for a talented amateur. They usually charge less and have a decent turnaround time.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
BeccaPrice
Wizard

A lot of what he's doing is very artistic work around his house (his bathroom is going to be gorgeous). I keep offering to pay him, and he keeps saying he'll do it for free, but he never does.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
BeccaPrice
Wizard

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/wp-...of-714x474.jpg

If I flipped this, and found someone good with typography, would this be good for Dragons and Dreams?

(trouble is, really only the first two stories deal with dragons.)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
VydorScope
Wizard

There is a point when you have to cut dead wood and move on. I might suggest you start poking around for a new artist while you wait. Maybe mention to your current artist you need it by <some date> and tell him if he can't do it, then while you really appreciate him, you will have to look else where.

Basically it does not matter how good he is, how close of a friend he is, or anything if he never delivers. So give him a deadline and stick with it. Move on if he can not/does not do it.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Looks like it'd work, sure. And since the pic is either grayscale or so muted as to almost be that way, it'd look great on the cover of an e-reader. Just remember to test it in greyscale before merging your layers, so you don't have any sudden nasty surprises.

I had to redo the cover on the middle story in my sig something like three times before I got one that looked even halfway decent, and even then the composition still sucks.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Another option is to get the guy who did my Heart of Rock cover to use this letter

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-9050...-letter-d.html

maybe in green, against a red background of scales, to tie it together with the Heart of Rock cover thematically? at least until I get a better cover.

But I do want a really good cover for Dragons and Dreams...