Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
This Site RULES!

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has uploaded books on this site. I stumbled on to this when I did a Google search for a forum for the Sony PRS-505, and I am glad I did. I have downloaded about 33 books so far (I'm still reading the first, lol, Frankenstein), some of them collected poems.

I have been to other sites for downloading free e-books, but this one seems to have the best organized book list. It is so easy to find what you're looking for. I have downloaded a lot of books I KNOW I would have never read if I didn't get my reader and find this site. Dracula, Mark Twain novels, other stories by Jospeh Conrad (I love heart of Darkness), 1984, and I could go on. My only fear is I will never get to all of them, but I like having a long reading list.

I do have one suggestion, though, but I'm not sure if it is possible. It is with the poetry. If there could be a way to add footnotes, that would really help. Not all of it, The Raven is pretty straight forward. Try reading T. S. Elliot's The Wasteland without footnotes, though. Or any of his stuff, lol. It could help with the novels, too. I'm in college, so I am used to having footnotes, but they really do help. How many people are going to know what the albatross refers to in the opening letters of Frankenstein? Anyways, just a thought.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Drezin,

eBooks certainly support footnotes (well, endnotes, anyway!), but most of the public domain sources do not have them. The best way to get endnotes for your poetry is to create your own version of the book which has them.

Look forward to seeing your contribution to our "Book Uploads" forum!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi Drezin
I found this site looking following a purchase of a prs 505 too.
They are awesome around here for book uploads...some have even created "omnibus" books....there is nothing more fantastic than to see the progress of a writer from beginning to end...its a favorite of mine.
Soon I will brave the forums on all this conversion stuff...but now I am just reading them and trying to understand the whys and stuff.
You will love it here.
Happy Reading!
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi and Welcome!

Just a note about footnotes for The Wasteland. (My favorite poem of all.) You may already know this, but the footnotes do not have much of anything to do with the poem. They were added as "filler" when the publisher said the poem was to small to publish. You see, Ezra Pound and Eliot and Stein and Hemingway were all part of that expat group of experimental artists working in Paris between world wars. Pound had edited Eliot's poem by striking out large portions, and the mangled tangle of images that remain of the poem are what he left in. Then Eliot added back enough rambling footnotes to make the poem long enough to publish.

The footnotes themselves, however, have been studied as literature also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote