Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
rai
Enthusiast
rai began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onxy Boox M92
eInk, highlight capability, pdf native support?

I'm new here and I have trouble finding out if the kind of e-book reader device I want actually exist.

I need it for reading academic articles which are in pdf format - therefore I need ebook device to natively support pdf files. Also, I need some kind of elementary highlighting function (anything which would allow me to somehow mark parts of the text would be fine).

In addition, I don't like DRM .

Hanlin V2 seems fine, but there is no mention of any kind of highlighting function and it also seems difficult to obtain.
New Cybook reader seems promising, but again, no mention of highlighting function...

If anybody can help me with suggestions and/or advice I'd be very grateful.

Last edited by rai; 07-25-2007 at 02:39 PM.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
So far, the only reader that allows any input on the screen is the iLiad. And that is limited to drawing. So instead of highlighting, you could underline what you like.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
So far, the only reader that allows any input on the screen is the iLiad. And that is limited to drawing. So instead of highlighting, you could underline what you like.
You can overlay a drawing to text? Wow I like that.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the iLiad if you can code it, you can do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
You can overlay a drawing to text? Wow I like that.
Well, you can use the stylus to draw, annotate, etc any PDF document. Then, using the companion software or 3rd party app, you can merge the changes.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do you keep the overlay at the right place if there is lets say a change in format like a font size?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
How do you keep the overlay at the right place if there is lets say a change in format like a font size?
You can't reflow PDF or change text size.

However, the does automatically stay in place when you zoom or rotate the document.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Cool! Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
rai
Enthusiast
rai began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onxy Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Well, you can use the stylus to draw, annotate, etc any PDF document. Then, using the companion software or 3rd party app, you can merge the changes.
So, how easy is to do that? For example, can I underline a sentence in pdf file and than just press button and have this saved/merged?

thanks
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
So, how easy is to do that? For example, can I underline a sentence in pdf file and than just press button and have this saved/merged?

thanks
Notes are automatically saved on the iLiad when you exit the reader.

However, for it to be permanantly attached to the document (outside of the iLiad), you'll have to transfer it to your computer and merge with the software. It's really not difficult at all. But it is slightly more involved than a single click.