Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Alternative to Lighted Cover

I just got a Kindle 3 and Amazon Lighted Cover.

Whilst it's great, I do feel the cover adds a LOT of weight, and the light is too strong in a dark room.

Are there any 3rd party solutions that solved these issues, preferably ones that also power the light via the Kindle and not separate batteries.

Thanks
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I love this combination:

1- the Octovo Solis Light: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=72&pid=24
2- this m-edge cover: http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3-latitude.psp

I like a zippered cover, and it's one of the lightest covers I've found with a zipper. The light takes a AA battery. I like the light very much; I had it for my K2. I had tried one of those gooseneck type lights, and found it mildly annoying to adjust it. The solis is perfect, and small and easy to transport.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
thayerwilliams
thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
While trying to find an animal-friendly alternative to the leather lighted cover, I searched extensively for any cover featuring a kindle-powered light; not a single alternative exists to my knowledge. There are a couple of covers which feature a detachable flexi-light, but they are battery-powered and, as such, are likely just as heavy and even more awkward to use.
thayerwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the look of the Solis light - seems the light is much more "focused" on the screen.

Is the M-Edge cover considerably lighter than the official one?

Why has no-one produced a 3rd party Kindle-powered light?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I know that it's not powered by the Kindle itself, but I do like having an LED ear-light like this. It's great for reading in bed and not disturbing the sleepy ladywife.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I was also surprised that there are no other lights that are powered by the Kindle. I wish there were!
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Hum, I didn't find any covers with light powered by Kindle but you have these ones.

AYL® LED Lighted Kindle Polyurethane Leather Case with Wrist Strap + Screen Protector

AYL® Kindle Lighted Crocodile Texture Polyurethane Leather Case + Screen Protector

Just posted them in case someone was searching for a similar effect. If you want them from UK store search for ForeFront.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I know that it's not powered by the Kindle itself, but I do like having an LED ear-light like this. It's great for reading in bed and not disturbing the sleepy ladywife.

pffft....come on. Where are your priorities? Reading on your Kindle or your wife?

All jokes aside, that ear-light thing is indeed kinda cool. Do you wear glasses? Wonder how's it feel on your ear if one has glasses?

Last edited by lestatar; 07-06-2011 at 04:51 AM.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
I actually thought it was a funny light. I didn't even know such lights existed, seems good to find things in the dark, like under your bed
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
There was a guy here who was trying to make his own Kindle powered light:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119188
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
pffft....come on. Where are your priorities? Reading on your Kindle or your wife?

All jokes aside, that ear-light thing is indeed kinda cool. Do you wear glasses? Wonder how's it feel on your ear if one has glasses?
Pfft. Priorities. Yeah. Right.

Captain Cliff Beefpile (my beloved Kindle) never says "no." Never tells me to scoop the cat box, never says "you're sleeping on the couch," never makes me do dishes... The Captain Cliff is the perfect woman.

Ah, crap...She's standing right behind me, isn't she?

--------------------------------

No, I don't wear glasses (anymore). When I get home, I'll try on a pair of my sun glasses and try the ear piece on as well. See if there's major discomfort, or anything.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Captain Cliff Beefpile (my beloved Kindle) never says "no." Never tells me to scoop the cat box, never says "you're sleeping on the couch," never makes me do dishes... The Captain Cliff is the perfect woman.

Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:

--------------------------------

No, I don't wear glasses (anymore). When I get home, I'll try on a pair of my sun glasses and try the ear piece on as well. See if there's major discomfort, or anything.
lolz...I hear ya Thanks man, look forward to the feedback. But one question:

"Captain Cliff Beefpile"? Come on man...My K3 is "General Bookmaster" - I think a promotion is in order...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
lolz...I hear ya Thanks man, look forward to the feedback. But one question:

"Captain Cliff Beefpile"? Come on man...My K3 is "General Bookmaster" - I think a promotion is in order...
As promised...

It's not TOO uncomfortable. Glasses generally bother me a great deal when worn for a long period of time. They pinch my noggin right behind the ears, and really hurts. That's why I like having my couple pairs of shades that have a softer material on the ends of the...over-the-ear-thingies. That way, there's no pinching.

With the light on, it's not too bad. The only thing I could see as being a bit of a bother is for someone who has metal frames, the LED light may cause a little bit of reflection off the sides of the...over-the-ear-thingies.

I would also think that smaller/narrower over-the-ear-thingies would make everything more comfortable overall, considering there's not a whole lot of real estate on and around the ear.

Tags
kindle, light, weight