Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
jim.thornton
jim.thornton began at the beginning.

Device: Aztec EZReader (w/ Hanlin firmware)
Sony PRS-500

My mom has the PRS-500 that by Dad just bought her from Ebay. I told him not to buy it, but he did anyway.

I've tried connecting it via Calibre 0.8.10 but it is not showing up as a connected device. I'm running Windows 7 and it is not recognizing it either.

I've been searching for a solution for a couple of days. One solution I found said to install PRS500.inf from the installation directory. After searching the directory I noticed it was not there. I then did some more research and it said to download 0.6.29 from sourceforge. I downloaded this version, copied out the PRS500.inf files and tried to install it by right clicking it and then install. It said that this type of install was not an option for this INF file.

From here I went to the devices in Windows 7 and it hung on searching for a device. I cancelled out of that and went to the device manager where I went to install legacy device. I manually seleced the copied driver from the 0.6.29 version and installed that.

Windows gave me a sucessful message on the driver installation but when I opened Calibre again it would not show that it was connected. (version 0.8.10). I did NOT install 0.6.29 on my machine, just took the INF file (and the related files).

Can someone help me get this going please. I can't figure it out.
jim.thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you need to do is contact Sony about getting that 500 upgraded to support ePub. Without the ePub upgrade, the 500 needs a custom USB driver that does not work on Windows 7 64-bit. I cannot say if it works with Windows 7 32-bit. Once it's upgraded to ePub, you should be able to use the latest Calibre.

But, given that the 500 is for your mom, you'd be best using Reader Library to manage the 500 once it's been upgraded to handle ePub.

And yes, you were correct about not buying it. The screen uses the 1st generation eink and the contrast is quite poor and it can fade in direct sunlight. Also, the processor is rather slow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
OldGunbunny
Enthusiast
OldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: 9 or so at last count
But since you have it:

866-962-7669 for Sony Support. Tell them you need the ePub upgrade and they'll send you a prepaid FedEx label to send it in.

Sony didn't offer a swap, they just upgraded the 500. Good service - about 10 days door to door.

Last edited by OldGunbunny; 08-07-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Back from Sony.
OldGunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post
Can someone help me get this going please. I can't figure it out.
There are several things you can do:

- use Sony Connect Software. Horrible piece of software IMHO. I can provide the installation disk (upload an image somehow). The old version of Sony connect software that I have will most probably NOT be compatible with higher version of Windows than XP

- get an older version of Calibre. Calibre dropped support for PRS-500 somewhere along the way.

- get an SD card and an SD card reader. Load books directly on SD card and forget about special software for connecting the device. This is the path of the least resistance. You can load books in RTF, TXT, LRF, PDF format. Calibre will provide conversion. You might want to borrow a computer with Windows XP, install Sony Library software and delete all books from memory, so they do not clutter the library.

Sony PRS-500 isn't bad machine. Built like a tank. The display has a bit less contrast then newer ones, but in its time it was a marvel.
You might be interested in "hack builder" for the old PRS-500. Search old threads. Hack builder brings number of small improvements to the standard firmware.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
akais
akais began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st gen., Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony Prs-650
I tried sending my PRS-500 in back in February '11. Called them direct. Sony rep said they did not have any of the kits in stock but he would exchange it for a refurb PRS-600 instead. I thought that was a good trade. I don't know if they are still doing that, if not PRS-650 would be even better!

Last edited by akais; 07-23-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Insert signature
akais is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akais View Post
I tried sending my PRS-500 in back in February '11. Called them direct. Sony rep said they did not have any of the kits in stock but he would exchange it for a refurb PRS-600 instead. I thought that was a good trade. I don't know if they are still doing that, if not PRS-650 would be even better.
I would love to send in a 500 for a 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
reelspin
reelspin began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
re your sony prs 500 i have the same ebook reader recently bought from the same auction site you need to install the sony software to your pc then install calibre software to your pc use calibre to convert your book to lrf format then save to a folder on your pc then open sony software page similar to itunes then open your book folder and drag your file on to the libray icon on the top left hand of the page then click on reader icon to sync to your reader totally dis regard message on your prs after a couple of mins you will find your book is on your machine. ps the sony is built to last
reelspin is offline   Reply With Quote