Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Device: all devices
Sigil -- what version of .epub?

I work for a book publisher and we are planning to make all of our ebooks available for sale on iTunes, but Apple requires us to have a specific version of .epub files: 1.0.5.

What do the different version numbers mean, and how can I make my .epub files version 1.0.5? What version does Sigil make?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what this means and who can point me to a direction where I can learn more about it.
Kivgaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
I work for a book publisher and we are planning to make all of our ebooks available for sale on iTunes, but Apple requires us to have a specific version of .epub files: 1.0.5.
There must be some kind of misunderstanding. Epub files don't have versions. There's only one epub standard, and it has no version.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I can't say for sure, but I believe they mean your epub must pass the epubcheck version 1.0.5. I seem to recall having read somewhere also, that Apple has other requirements (maybe e.g. no embedded fonts, certain maximum cover art size?) that if not met will be reported as epubcheck failures, even though they actually are not.

ETA: I think they mean the epubcheck-1.0.5 you can get at

http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/downloads/list

Last edited by st_albert; 05-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
There must be some kind of misunderstanding. Epub files don't have versions. There's only one epub standard, and it has no version.
I thought the epub standard was currently at version 2.0. Not that this in any way pertains to Kivgaen's issue. I just wanted to point out something I think might not be accurate.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

What do the different version numbers mean, and how can I make my .epub files version 1.0.5? What version does Sigil make?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what this means and who can point me to a direction where I can learn more about it.
Apple means that the epub files must not report any errors when checked with epubcheck version 1.0.5. epubcheck is an open source, free, command-line program that checks the validity of the xml inside an epub.

If you set the metadata in Sigil, Sigil's output passes epubcheck 1.0.5, unless there's something weird going on in your XHTML files.

But you should certainly check yourselves. You can get epubcheck from

http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

and if you're on Mac, you can get a useful Applescript from here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55576

which will let you do drag&drop validation, instead of mucking around on the command-line.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can also use epubcheck online here.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
"(...) unless there's something weird going on in your XHTML files."

Weird like an ops 2.0 epub passing an epubtest with a doc type of <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" instead of <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"

Yeah, that is weird.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Lugeral
Lugeral began at the beginning.

Device: many
Yeah, that is weird. (I'll say)

Referring to the e-pub standards at http://www.idpf.org/ one can easily determine the current standard for e-pubs.
".epub" is the file extension of an XML format for reflowable digital books and publications. ".epub" is composed of three open standards, the Open Publication Structure (OPS), Open Packaging Format (OPF) and Open Container Format (OCF), produced by the IDPF."

It has been our determination that neither Sigil nor E-pub check have updated their respective softwares to reflect the "current" standards. We have politely attempted to point this out recently to both developers we were basically told that they prefer to do it their way, rather than in accordance with published standards. While they are both free to do as they please, neither should be able to claim that they are in accordance with current e-pub standards as they are not!

While we like the software, we are forced to work around it as well!

Go figure
Lugeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugeral View Post
It has been our determination that neither Sigil nor E-pub check have updated their respective softwares to reflect the "current" standards. We have politely attempted to point this out recently to both developers we were basically told that they prefer to do it their way, rather than in accordance with published standards. While they are both free to do as they please, neither should be able to claim that they are in accordance with current e-pub standards as they are not!

Go figure
I can't speak for epubcheck, but I'd like you to point out where I told you "I'd like to do things my way" and then proceeded to ignore the standards.

Honestly I don't recall ever talking to you before.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugeral View Post
Referring to the e-pub standards at http://www.idpf.org/ one can easily determine the current standard for e-pubs.
".epub" is the file extension of an XML format for reflowable digital books and publications. ".epub" is composed of three open standards, the Open Publication Structure (OPS), Open Packaging Format (OPF) and Open Container Format (OCF), produced by the IDPF."

Go figure
hm, i believe that epubcheck is developped and maintained by Liza Daly of threepress.org, who happens to be a very active member of the epub standards committee. obviously i can't speak for her but it would be very surprising if she ignored the standard, since she's helping define it...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, i believe that epubcheck is developped and maintained by Liza Daly of threepress.org, who happens to be a very active member of the epub standards committee. obviously i can't speak for her but it would be very surprising if she ignored the standard, since she's helping define it...
Actually AFAIK epubcheck is developed by Adobe developers involved with ADE, Peter Sorotokin being one of them. That's what the project page on Google Code says at least.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Actually AFAIK epubcheck is developed by Adobe developers involved with ADE, Peter Sorotokin being one of them. That's what the project page on Google Code says at least.
ha okay, my mistake. i didn't check, but i had a mistaken idea because it's used in the validator on the threepress site.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Valloric -- I just wanted to let you know, I thought this would be the best place to reach you... We've gotten some use out of your program so far and we have sent you a donation in appreciation.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Valloric

Quote:
Valloric -- I just wanted to let you know, I thought this would be the best place to reach you... We've gotten some use out of your program so far and we have sent you a donation in appreciation.
Donation received, thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Kivgaen
Enthusiast

Hey Valloric,

I spent more time on your program the other day and found a couple defects. One of which you accepted, but the second you marked as "Invalid"? (ID 446). I added a couple comments to it just now. This should just work automatically, as all other programs on my computer does. I shouldn't have to include special fonts for this to work -- if the user's computer has the capability to display the correct font (as mine does), then it should just work. With or without an imbedded font in the .epub file.