Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #76
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
And I am sorry that you have this experience, I feel your frustration.
I tend to get stubborn, though...

Did you try a force an upgrade on it? Is it at all possible?

CJ
Thanks, CJ. I appreciate your stubbornness.

I haven't done this (tried a forced upgrade) because I currently can't get the thing to move away from the "Low Battery" screen. The unit is plugged into a power strip. I've tried hitting the power button. I've tried pressing reset in back. I'm not sure what else to try.

... which is exactly where I was before sending it to Germany the 2nd time. Obviously, they had no problem charging it.

I just don't know what to think any more. I need to think about this scientifically, as a problem to be solved, but it's difficult to think about it without getting upset. The device responds to nothing.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
As you might be aware, I have had my fill of issues with this unit myself. Booxtor have been very helpful, though. But as I said, I know the frustration of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
The device responds to nothing.
Well, that part, at least, is not a mystery: that is what you would expect to see when there is no power (i.e. last image fixed on screen).
The question is, of course, why is there no power.

Only scenario I can now think of is: something is up with your charger, and it bricks the unit. I.e. you get it back from repair, all is working, then you try charging it and it's curtains for the battery.
Yes, yes, I know, far fetched.

It would be helpful if we could know what was actually done to it in repair, if anything.
Booxtor, if you are following this, could you enlighten us to this, please?

CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #78
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As you might be aware, I have had my fill of issues with this unit myself. Booxtor have been very helpful, though. But as I said, I know the frustration of it.
Yes -- I am.

I trust Booxtor. I don't know how much or how little he has to do directly with the servicing of units. If I was dependably cynical (I'm only cynical part of the time) I'd suspect the only thing that was being done in my unit's case was swapping out dead batteries for newly-charged ones. I was pretty explicit about my charging issue before I sent it in -- I can only presume that it was examined and tested with this in mind.

But it (the M92) still doesn't work, and the problem is exactly the same as before I sent it. So I too am curious what might have been found, and what might have been done.

If I was superstitious (which, unlike cynical, I never am) I might believe that this M92 housed a malevolent goblin which, for some unknown reason, despises me, but likes Germans.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #79
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
If I was superstitious (which, unlike cynical, I never am) I might believe that this M92 housed a malevolent goblin which, for some unknown reason, despises me, but likes Germans.
Malevolent it would most certainly be, alas! (Yes, I do cynical too.)

Your thoughts on the battery change mirrors mine (as per the edit somewhat above). Maybe it'd be a rewarded endevour to sent Booxtor a PM and ask him specifically if he can cast some light on what was done?

I am getting to the point - and please do not take this encouragement in any way, warranty considerations notwithstanding - where I believe I would personally have taken it apart myself, in your situation.

But I keep coming back to the blinking: it seems that, as soon as you provide some power, the first inclination is to 'report' an error. I assume this only happens when plugged into charging?
If memory serves, it's an orangy light just for charging (I shall check next time).

CJ
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #80
CJY
Zealot

I went over the whole thread again, to get a refresher (boy, this has been going on for more than half a year, I feel your pain).
Two things stood out (again, no insight, just that stubbornness/logic thing):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
... watch the LED. Does it blink three times blue - your battery is completely discharged and need to be charged.
So, no question about it, the only issue, as seen by the unit, is lack of power. In other words, no need to worry about anything else, including different combinations of button presses and resets, or even software installs.

Quote:
When I first connect it to the laptop, I get the orange LED. But that's it. After it's been sitting for a while, that goes away.
This one caught me: The unit is off, you connect it to charge, the orange light says 'I am charging' but then stops? How long is 'a while' in this instance? Does this still happen?

If this latter is still on-going, and a while is shorter than, say, half an hour, then the unit is charging for that while, but for some reason bails out as e.g. wrongly reporting that battery is full? (Or maybe wrong current, but I doubt it.)

What do you think about this, is the above still the behaviour?

CJ

Last edited by CJY; 08-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #81
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:

What do you think about this, is the above still the behaviour?

CJ
Well, I left it plugged into a power strip while I was at work, using another cable I'd found. It's still showing the "Low Battery" screen, but the orange LED is still glowing ...

... AND I get the blue LED blinking underneath the orange when I press the power button.

So there it lies. I'd take it apart, but I have no idea what I should look for. Maybe I'll do it anyway. Dunno. I wish I had a friend nearby who was an electronics whiz (I dream of being one, but that may never happen).
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #82
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
... AND I get the blue LED blinking underneath the orange when I press the power button.
Well, that's about the size of it, then... It's not the charger, nor the cable; no software issue either. Power is not getting to the battery, and logic dictates that it's either the battery or the main board causing it.

The answer to that question can be found in what was done in the repair: if the battery was changed, it is the mainboard.
Alternatively, if you could find a replacement battery, that would further confirm it.

I would take Booxtors offer of mailing you a new board. He says it's a fairly easy change with a soldering iron. Maybe you could find an electronics shop who could do it cheap for you?

Deduction has taken us as far down the road as possible, I suspect.
If nothing else, it has been interesting!

CJ
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #83
chexmix
Zealot

OK, I have requested the replacement motherboard.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #84
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
OK, I have requested the replacement motherboard.
Last night, I had a thought. I admit it is very far fetched, but it just dawned on me that the symptoms you describe is exactly what would happen if the battery was a normal battery, i.e. not rechargeable.

To weird to contemplate...?

CJ
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #85
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Last night, I had a thought. I admit it is very far fetched, but it just dawned on me that the symptoms you describe is exactly what would happen if the battery was a normal battery, i.e. not rechargeable.

To weird to contemplate...?

CJ

I will send a replacement board. I guess there is a hardware malfunction like a cold solder joint. It could not be discovered in our lab. We checked the charging function and it seemed to work just fine. But as we can see it does not. I would not like to let someone suffer on such a problem.

@chexmix: please contact me as soon as you receive the board. I will give you some instructions how to do the replacement
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #86
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
I will send a replacement board. I guess there is a hardware malfunction like a cold solder joint. It could not be discovered in our lab. We checked the charging function and it seemed to work just fine. But as we can see it does not. I would not like to let someone suffer on such a problem.

@chexmix: please contact me as soon as you receive the board. I will give you some instructions how to do the replacement
OK, will do. Thanks.

Just a thought ... this couldn't have anything to do with US vs. EU electrical supply, could it (I hope that question doesn't sound too stupid)?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #87
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
OK, will do. Thanks.

Just a thought ... this couldn't have anything to do with US vs. EU electrical supply, could it (I hope that question doesn't sound too stupid)?
The board is already on the way to you.
I can just guess what could be wrong with your unit. Most likely it is a could solder contact. We have a lot of customers in USA and Canada and nobody complained about similar issues before..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #88
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
The board is already on the way to you.
I can just guess what could be wrong with your unit. Most likely it is a could solder contact. We have a lot of customers in USA and Canada and nobody complained about similar issues before..
Lucky, lucky me.

I'll keep an eye out for the board. I hope I can find someone to do the soldering.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #89
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Hi Booxtor,

I have received the board -- I sent you a private message.

Thanks,

/GB
Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #90
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Good evening everyone (at least fellow europeans),

After 20 mostly fine months with my Onyx Boox M92 it finally stopped working. I very much fear that there is an issue with the screen according to this post by Booxtor https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=17, since the screen is frozen and the led under the joystick stays blue for 10 seconds after pushing the On/Off button.

I'm writing here since the case is similar to the one of Chexmix and others participating in the topic.
I tried to charge it with different cables both through the wall plug and through my computer but nothing happens apart from the steady orange led.

I assume the issue is covered by the mandatory 2-years warranty and I would like to know how to proceed in order to have it serviced under warranty.

I will let you know how things go... hopefully well, because I do trust Booxtor, but in the case of Chexmix it looks like a long agony rather than a path to salvation !

Last edited by Federico F.; 08-22-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote