Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #211
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Anybody tried to root T2 already? Or, let's put it this way: anybody knows how T2 supports Cyrillic fonts? If it does, than it doesn't need to be rooted... (for the most of users).
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #212
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Anybody tried to root T2 already? Or, let's put it this way: anybody knows how T2 supports Cyrillic fonts? If it does, than it doesn't need to be rooted... (for the most of users).
If you look at pages 70 and 172 in the PRST2 Manual pdf linked a few pages ago you will see page 70 lists one of the keyboard chars as switching between QWERTY and Cyrillic char input. Page 172 shows an Oxford Russian Dictionary (EN-RU). You can clearly see Cyrillic chars in the dictionary definition.

Of course it may be that models in different countries will have different capabilities ... or even the pdf is just plain wrong.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #213
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
T2 model sold in US currently does not offer EN-RU dictionary, Russian keyboard input or Russian language in the menu...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #214
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
And I guess the only way to organise books is collections (one level)? And no file explorer like options (tree structure with more than one level)?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #215
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Centauri View Post
None of the local European Sony sites I have checked mention the inclusion of any dictionary at all in the T2! (E.g. the UK info: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t2 ) This may of course just be a mistake by the people writing the web pages. *fingers crossed*
I e-mailed Sony Sweden asking about it, but have not yet received an answer. Does anyone happen to know?
I just wanted to protest but you are right. They seem to have changed the German website since last week.

However, their official press notice at least mentions the dictionaries:

http://www.pressebox.de/pressemeldun...d/boxid/531659

This Austrian website also lists the dictionaries available on the test version they have just received. They are the ones we already know from the PRS-650 and the T1.:

http://cme.at/e-book-reader/sony-prs...nts=1#comments

It would have been incomprehensible if they had removed the dictionary support for Western Europe's biggest language (ok, there have been many incomprehensible moves by Sony over the years).

They also say that the feel of the buttons is pretty good and that changing pages is noticeably faster than it was with the T1.

Not bad but no progress that would induce me to "upgrade" my 650.
I am also still peeved by the lack of support for BBeB by the new readers.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #216
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
All in all I love the T2. For me, the soft, matte black finish is enough to make me abandon my T1. It's no longer a question of if, but when ...
Meh. I dont think a new finish is worth another $139 after just a year. Maybe when it is $69 next spring or summer.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #217
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
@idle

Yes. My T1 is unrooted but has had the firmware updated twice. If I wait out the pause/hang the reader will come back. Since I use the highlighting feature a lot to mark errors, I sometimes wonder if the dictionary just has trouble with the short words I mark.
--MH
Thank you.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #218
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Thank you pssquirrel for you review!

Your description of the buttons sounds good.

Dics could be depending of the country you'll buy the reader. Maybe this is a step forward - with 6 dics man could translate from several languages into mother tongue.

What would make me frowning ('would' because I stay with my beloved 350 in any case) is your description of the finish of the black reader. I fear, as mentioned earlier, the matt surface is just rubber-like coating. It could be removed by heavy using (holding) the reader. That's the situation with the back of the X50 series (which doesn't matter because it's just the back side).

Page turning seems to be improved - very promising.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 650 lives in the light case and thus, no worries about rubbing off the back. Besides, it's easier to hold when it's in the case then when it's not in the case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #220
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
The call of the T2 was too strong, and I could not resist returning to the Sony Store -- this time with my T1 and an interested friend in tow. Thought I'd post a follow-up to my initial impressions:

Screen: In a side-by-side comparison, the T2 was noticeably whiter and brighter than my T1. The T2 looked bright white while the T1 looked murky gray. Text on the T2 was noticeably sharper. Frankly, I was shocked (and dismayed as far as my T1 is concerned). I didn't think the difference would be so great.

Fonts: Sony seems to have changed the Original font to Amasis, while still offering Amasis as a separate choice. When switching between Original and Amasis, there doesn't seem to be any difference. I am baffled as to the reason for this redundancy. The result is 7 font choices: Original/Amasis, Amasis (again), Frutiger Neue, Palatina Nova, Really No. 2, Univers Next, Verdana.

Speed/Responsiveness: The T2 is noticeably faster and more responsive than the T1 as far as turning pages and navigating through menus goes.

Clock: Still no clock when reading. The only way to see the time is to go back to the Home screen and press the Menu button. Boo.

I resisted the urge to take a T2 home with me, mainly because my friend (who's been looking to replace a Nook classic) bought one, giving me the chance to help her set it up. Here's what we discovered:

Evernote: This is extremely cool. You can highlight text, write annotations and notes, then upload them to Evernote. From there, you can retrieve them from a Web browser, desktop client or app. It also works in reverse. From your computer or smartphone, you can create notes in Evernote or email notes to your Evernote account; once there, you can download them to your T2. Apparently, you can also clip Web articles using Evernote, then download them to your T2 for reading, but we didn't test this out.

Database: The T2's books.db is almost identical to the T1. We tried out Kolenka's Recently_Opened Hack, and so far so good.

Can I resist returning to the Sony Store a third time and bringing one of these babies home? (Yes, yes, I know, the price is likely to come down. That's why I'm trying to hold out.)
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #221
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Pssquirrel - I love you but my husband will hate you. I was trying SO hard to resist this and you're pushing me!!!!! AAAAAHHHH!

I haven't even had the dang T1 for a year. He's SO not impressed with me. I think I'll wait for the price to come down & bug him near Christmas. I bought ASAP for the insanely high Canadian price of $179. IF I'm still pining over it, I shall wait.

While the differences sound divine, it's not really a huge upgrade from the T2. He rolls his eyes at me but I was able to argue going from a 300 to a 350 and then to a T1 but for such minute differences....he's gonna give me a hard time for the T2. LOL

I look forward to your updates & shall live vicariously through your explorations.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #222
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
What would make me frowning ('would' because I stay with my beloved 350 in any case) is your description of the finish of the black reader. I fear, as mentioned earlier, the matt surface is just rubber-like coating. It could be removed by heavy using (holding) the reader. That's the situation with the back of the X50 series (which doesn't matter because it's just the back side).
Good point. I hadn't thought of that, and I can totally see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My 650 lives in the light case and thus, no worries about rubbing off the back.
Another good point, though I'm not a cover fan myself. Hmmm ...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #223
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Thank you pssquirrel for you review!

Your description of the buttons sounds good.

Dics could be depending of the country you'll buy the reader. Maybe this is a step forward - with 6 dics man could translate from several languages into mother tongue.

Page turning seems to be improved - very promising.

A.
I´ve never seen a rubberized finish come off. The worst ofender is creamy or greasy hands so avoid eating while holding the reader.

Believe me, I make rubber products for a living for the past 30 years.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #224
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Pssquirrel - I love you but my husband will hate you. I was trying SO hard to resist this and you're pushing me!!!!! AAAAAHHHH! ... While the differences sound divine, it's not really a huge upgrade from the T2.
LOL! The T2 is definitely not a must-have if you already own a T1. And to be honest, I stopped by the Sony Store out of curiosity, not to buy. I did the same thing when the Nook Glow came out. I wasn't thinking about replacing my T1 -- I just like looking at ereaders. But now I have T2-fever and I don't know if there's an antidote short of buying one!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-25-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #225
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I´ve never seen a rubberized finish come off. The worst ofender is creamy or greasy hands so avoid eating while holding the reader.

Believe me, I make rubber products for a living for the past 30 years.
Well, that's certainly reassuring. But you realize, you're making it even harder for me to resist buying a T2.