Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
fender87
fender87 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-600
Just Got my Prs-600

Im having a problem with my prs-600 i have it pluged into my computer with the usb cable like the manual said and i let it charge for 4 hours once done i took it out of the usb cable and went through the settings on the device.

I pluged it back into my pc but it isnt detecting any device i tried the sony library picks up nothing, tried calibre picks up nothing, the device has a usb icon when pluged into the computer with an arrow pointing to the right but nothing else seems to be happening.

My pc is running xp, its a little old but i see no reason for it not working, ipod and other usb peripherals run fine. i also tried different usb slots still no joy.

Any help on this matter would be great, might have to try it on my mac tomorrow after college.
fender87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender87 View Post
Im having a problem with my prs-600 i have it pluged into my computer with the usb cable like the manual said and i let it charge for 4 hours once done i took it out of the usb cable and went through the settings on the device.

I pluged it back into my pc but it isnt detecting any device i tried the sony library picks up nothing, tried calibre picks up nothing, the device has a usb icon when pluged into the computer with an arrow pointing to the right but nothing else seems to be happening.

My pc is running xp, its a little old but i see no reason for it not working, ipod and other usb peripherals run fine. i also tried different usb slots still no joy.

Any help on this matter would be great, might have to try it on my mac tomorrow after college.
do you have the latest version of the sony library - if you installed from the disk included - download the latest version from the web, install the new software, reset the reader (hard reset best if its new and nothing on you are worried about losing) then plug in the reader to your machine via USB

reset instructions (read before doing as steps need to be executed quickly)

press and release the reset button and power on the reader.

While the reader is booting, press and hold both the Volume Up and the back button. Continue holding until you see a screen asking you to confim that you want to reset the device back to factory default (Press Button 5). Note: it can take a while perhaps 60 seconds

4). After you have confirmed you want to set the device back to factory default, the reader will turn off. Turn the unit back on and it will go through its initial startup which takes a minute or two.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
fender87

Silly me a simple restart of my computer and the device has solved the problem, The Library software loaded up instantly and the icon changed, now i can add my books and bring it with me tomorrow Thanks for your help!

Last edited by fender87; 09-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
cool
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
do you have the latest version of the sony library - if you installed from the disk included - download the latest version from the web, install the new software, reset the reader (hard reset best if its new and nothing on you are worried about losing) then plug in the reader to your machine via USB
Did you get a CD with yours? Mine just had an "autoplay" on the Reader itself which downloaded the installer from the internet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
fender87

No cd just the same installer from the device although i had already installed the library early from the web as i had downloaded a few books.

Ive only got using it a little today but as my first e-reader im impressed the touch feature takes a little getting used to when changing pages. I find it sometimes isnt so responsive but i may not be applying the correct pressure, anyone else find this?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I don't remember there being a CD in mine either harry.

I didn't look very hard though.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Mine did not have a CD either. If I recall I charged the unit, went through the basic setup.

Then during connection it began the install of software routine

PS: Congrats on the 600 BTW
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
No CD here either, I had already upgraded the Library before I bought it though.....so it was already set to go
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender87 View Post
No cd just the same installer from the device although i had already installed the library early from the web as i had downloaded a few books.

Ive only got using it a little today but as my first e-reader im impressed the touch feature takes a little getting used to when changing pages. I find it sometimes isnt so responsive but i may not be applying the correct pressure, anyone else find this?
You do have to press quite hard. That's why I prefer to use the page-turn buttons instead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
Amazon -> Sony?

I just bought a PRS-600. It hasn't even arrived yet, but I have a question. :-)

Is there any way to purchase an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store, and then (eventually) get it into my Sony reader?

Kirk

Oops! Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack this thread! New to the Sony and new to this forum software. :-\
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
roadster
roadster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-505, Ipod touch
Reboot is most powerful solution for any PC trouble...
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you get a CD with yours? Mine just had an "autoplay" on the Reader itself which downloaded the installer from the internet.
I too didn't have a cd- I already had the Library open and it just started the firmware update the moment it recognised the Reader.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote