Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #1
lazypenguy
lazypenguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Thumbs up Reprogramming a stylus to page turn on button clicks

Hello! I have a Kobo Sage and want to turn the page with a stylus button click.

I know that some Surface stylus pens work with the Sage (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/RENAISSER-Sen...st_sto_dp&th=1) so I wondered if the following is possible: reprogramming the Surface stylus erase/right-click button to instead tell the Sage to turn the page right/left (or vice-versa)

I figure these questions would need to be answered:
1. What command does a page turn from the physical button / screen touch emit to the Kobo?
2. Can I get those commands mapped to the stylus buttons?

I'm a career programmer but have never developed on an ereader and I've never even owned a stylus. If there's no known solution, I'd be happy to brainstorm ideas with others so I can come to a solution myself, if one is possible.

If anyone's interested, this is why I want this functionality on the stylus:
I want to be able hold my Kobo with my left hand, and my right hand holds the stylus which turns the page. The physical buttons placement makes my thumbs cramp. And I much prefer physical buttons over touching the screen (fingerprints / needing my move my lazy hand even an inch).

I would solve the cramping issue if I had the device in landscape, but I primarily read manga so thats not a good option for me.

Yes, I realize how ridiculously lazy this idea is. But I'm a lazy guy.

Thanks for reading!
lazypenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, the pen only sends button events as part of an existing tracking stream, not on their own, so, even if it's in range (and that's a pretty short range we're talking about here), you can't just click the button on its own and have it be a thing.

(So it's not even a question of binding the buttons at all, it's a combination of technical limitations even before that: hardware, because the range is short anyway, and software, because button events don't happen in a vacuum).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
lazypenguy

That's a shame. Not surprising though, I'm sure if it was possible there would already be solutions out there. Thanks for the info!

I did some digging and came across https://github.com/tylpk1216/KoboPageTurner, I've merely skimmed it but looks like someone was able to turn pages on their Clara HD using HTTP requests and mimicking screen taps. They then made a remote & phone app to make these requests, pretty cool. I'll probably investigate if this could work on the Sage.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
lazypenguy

There is also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345507 which talks about a plugin which allows a Bluetooth device turn the page. Cool

Tags
kobo, page turn, reprogram, stylus