Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Looks very promising. I am going to give it a try today.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Error: no books - nothing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
Supports copying books from/to the device, converts subdirectories into collections, converts FB2 files into EPUB and more.
Needs some polishing but has a big potential.
I've just installed the File manager and collection creator for PRS505. I'm having a problem figuring out an error and would appreciate any suggestions.

After a Scan for books, I keep getting the three messages:
"Remove nonexistent media files"
"Remove nonexistent books"
"Error: no books - nothing to do"

I have over 1100 books, a mix of the acceptable formats, on the SD card under database/media/books/[15 Directories]

On the Sony Reader itself I have the same path, database/media/books/[15 Directories]

The 15 directories that I want to have automatically converted into Collections, are named, e.g., English Literature, Russian Literature, etc.

I followed the instructions at https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
as closely as possible. I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

How do I get the folders/directories on my hard drive to be recognized on the Sony Reader itself? I had created empty directories on the Reader, thinking the full directories on the SD card would be matched with and indexed with the Reader, but instead, I get that error message, whether I run the "Scan and create collection" on the reader or the SD card.

All 1100 books are just sorting by title, author, and date, which makes it impossible to find anything--the same problem as Sony's software, which I'm hoping to escape. Not a single book under Collection.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Last edited by fglaysher; 12-18-2008 at 05:47 PM.
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
I've just installed the File manager and collection creator for PRS505. I'm having a problem figuring out an error and would appreciate any suggestions.

After a Scan for books, I keep getting the three messages:
"Remove nonexistent media files"
"Remove nonexistent books"
"Error: no books - nothing to do"

I have over 1100 books, a mix of the acceptable formats, on the SD card under database/media/books/[15 Directories]

On the Sony Reader itself I have the same path, database/media/books/[15 Directories]

The 15 directories that I want to have automatically converted into Collections, are named, e.g., English Literature, Russian Literature, etc.

I followed the instructions at https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
as closely as possible. I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

How do I get the folders/directories on my hard drive to be recognized on the Sony Reader itself? I had created empty directories on the Reader, thinking the full directories on the SD card would be matched with and indexed with the Reader, but instead, I get that error message, whether I run the "Scan and create collection" on the reader or the SD card.

All 1100 books are just sorting by title, author, and date, which makes it impossible to find anything--the same problem as Sony's software, which I'm hoping to escape. Not a single book under Collection.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Fred
----
The key is not creating the subdirectories/collections on the device yourself but letting the manager do it.

Reinstalling helped, along with not following the sketchy instructions too literally (a lot of revision needed there). After deleting everything from the Sony Reader using Sony's software, I created the subdirectories and then selected the directories from my hard drive and copied them to the device. Then Actions>Save Order; followed by Scan and Created Collections.

It took some trouble-shooting but well worth the effort to get rid of Sony's software and have 1200 books copied as they're already sorted. The computer did the work, leaving me free to do the *reading.*

I agree with the earlier poster that this manager has real potential. I hope people more computer-savvy than I develop it, or another one like it, into a first rate program.

Thanks to those who have brought it this far.

Fred
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I just bought a 4 gig memory stick pro duo thinking I could pack it with music, while having 1200+ books on the SD card. Since I use the Manager505, not Sony's trashware, I can easily import the folders on my hard drive I already have sorted into Collections, i.e., English Literature, American, etc.

But I can't figure out how to do it with music either.... With 3 gigs of music, the Sony Reader sorts ALL of the Allegro movements alphabetically!!! etc... which must be what you two are finding as well.

The Manager505 seems to ONLY recognize the Sony Reader hard drive and a SD card, not another drive/Pro Duo, which it thinks is the SD card!!

Since this problem impacts anyone who wants to actually USE the Sony Reader for both reading and listening to music, I'm sure many people would appreciate the advice of ANYONE who has figured this out? Sony?

THANKS!

Fred
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Some discussion of this problem with music also at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9150
Advert