Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Kindle PW2 w/ Firmware version: 5.8.10 : any point in hoping for a future root?

I've read the jailbreaking instructions and I obviously don't quality for it based on my firmware version.

Questions:
1) Is it worth hoping a future jailbreak will be announced for my firmware version?
2) Are the following instructions accurate in stopping OTA updates so I can 'freeze' my current firmware version for a potential future jailbreak?
You should block any OTA updates before allowing the device to connect to the Internet.
To prevent OTA updates, add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.
3) What do you find the *most useful* things you can do once you have jailbroken/rooted your Kindle? So far I've noticed that putting a better PDF reader would the most beneficial to me.

Thanks in advance!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I new jailbreak does come out, it will be for 5.8.11. 5.8.11 is the new firmware that allows upping font weight and has more font sizes. It's the firmware that most Kindle owners are installing if they have a PW2 or better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
5.9.x is coming out apparently, from the people who have the new oasis already. There may be some options in there
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
So should I freeze my current FW version?

And were the instructions I posted above the way to do it?

Thanks again!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
So should I freeze my current FW version?

And were the instructions I posted above the way to do it?

Thanks again!
yes, as far as we know that update folder should still freeze your version.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert