Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
bumcivilians
bumcivilians began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Percentage read/Time left in chapter/book, etc.disappeared

Hi, I converted some books from Mobi to Mobi with the [PDOC] tag removed in order to make them display in the Books section instead of the Docs section on my Kindle Paperwhite and it worked except that the % Read and Time left in Chapter/Book and Location stuff has disappeared from the bottom.

How can I get it back?
bumcivilians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Conversion creates a new book -- the datafiles which contain annotations and reading position will be inherently wrong, as they are based on formatted character offsets.

There is no need to convert anyway. The PDOC tag is updated on the fly by calibre, just like all other metadata; in fact, calibre's internal copy will always be set to EBOK, and defaults to switching it to PDOC when sending it outside calibre. As long as calibre is properly set up to prefer EBOK, all you need to do is resend the book. Do NOT convert it.

Also, make sure the book is using the same metadata/save template, so it matches up with the {ebook}.sdr folder that has the annotations data. If you deleted the book with calibre, it will be deleted as well (don't do that ) if you left it on or deleted with the Kindle UI, it will still be there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also just remember where you were and goto that part of the book by hand -- reading time and location/percentage aren't stored anywhere, they are based on your current place in the book, which IS stored.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why Mobi?
You have a modern Kindle. Won't AZW3 work better?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
bumcivilians
bumcivilians began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Didn't realise AZW3 was the better format.

This is the worst thing ever. I've basically stripped my entire library.

EDIT: FALSE ALARM! I'd somehow turned 'Reading Progress' in the menu to 'None'. Ahhhh, what a relief!

Last edited by bumcivilians; 06-10-2014 at 12:13 PM.
bumcivilians is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumcivilians View Post
Didn't realise AZW3 was the better format.

This is the worst thing ever. I've basically stripped my entire library.

EDIT: FALSE ALARM! I'd somehow turned 'Reading Progress' in the menu to 'None'. Ahhhh, what a relief!
YMMV I have set my K4 (using AZW3) to use the publishers styles and now my books look almost like the EPUB on my Astak (EPUB)

IIRC you have an K1 K2, DX (not sure about K3), you are stuck with Mobi for those
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BTW you gain nothing converting from Mobi to AZW3 except the ability to add (edit in) more styling.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW you gain nothing converting from Mobi to AZW3 except the ability to add (edit in) more styling.
Actually, the AZW3 rendering engine is better than the MOBI one--it seems to handle justification better I think, also the hyphen I used right here would be considered one big word in MOBI but not AZW3, and wouldn't break across lines and cannot be looked up in the dictionary.

There are differences, even if there aren't any high-profile ones.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Actually, the AZW3 rendering engine is better than the MOBI one--it seems to handle justification better I think, also the hyphen I used right here would be considered one big word in MOBI but not AZW3, and wouldn't break across lines and cannot be looked up in the dictionary.

There are differences, even if there aren't any high-profile ones.
You make a good case for doing a Mobi to AZW3 when possible
Old 06-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC you have an K1 K2, DX (not sure about K3), you are stuck with Mobi for those
The K3/Kindle Keyboard will do AZW3 if you run the latest firmware. As you said, everything up to and including the DX & DXG (which are, in essence, oversized K2s) will not.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote