Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Times-Picayune to reduce to 3 per week

New Orleans' newspaper, The Times-Picayune, announced today that it will reduce its output from seven to three days per week - Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. It will focus its attention on its website.

http://news.yahoo.com/times-picayune...5POH4AuQbQtDMD
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Print news is a dying format. And with so much free web news available, paid models will have a rough time keeping their heads above water.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Print news is a dying format. And with so much free web news available, paid models will have a rough time keeping their heads above water.
Since I wronged you in another thread, I'm glad to agree with you here.

Newspapers withered (at least, their staffs have withered) before publishers because people are more willing to read news stories on a PC than to read a novel on a PC. Internet-connected PC's became ubiquitous maybe a dozen years before eReaders became widespread. Not that history is going to repeat itself exactly, or that one can predict the future. (Well, one can predict it, just not with risk of egg on the face.)
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Many news junkies were predicting this since the days of compuserve. The factors that would get us here were predictable and unescapable.

Clay Shirkey wrote a concise piece that outlined much of it back in 2009.

http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03...e-unthinkable/
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Since I wronged you in another thread, I'm glad to agree with you here.

Newspapers withered (at least, their staffs have withered) before publishers because people are more willing to read news stories on a PC than to read a novel on a PC. Internet-connected PC's became ubiquitous maybe a dozen years before eReaders became widespread. Not that history is going to repeat itself exactly, or that one can predict the future. (Well, one can predict it, just not with risk of egg on the face.)
No problem; I didn't feel wronged.

That's so true about reading news on a PC. The articles are short in both length and attention span, making it quite easy to read from. Besides web media, newspapers also have to compete with television and radio. Newspapers have their backs against the wall and are facing an uncertain future. Even if they go digital, there's the problem of competing against the free content so readily available.

I use Google news on my PC as my primary news source. For my handhelds, Pulse is my primary source. Audio streaming finds me hitting BBC, NPR, CNN, and C-SPAN for national and international news. For the local stuff, I use radio, NWCN, and some local newspapers via their websites.

I'm not left wanting and have more than enough sources to choose from if any should disappear behind a paid wall.
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agreed, I haven't subscribed to a print newspaper in years.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Likewise - the BBC News website is my source of news. I haven't read a print newspaper in years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
New Orleans' newspaper, The Times-Picayune, announced today that it will reduce its output from seven to three days per week - Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. It will focus its attention on its website.

http://news.yahoo.com/times-picayune...5POH4AuQbQtDMD
It must be going on 3 years or more since I stopped picking up a discounted Sunday paper at the grocery store for 99 cents (no tax)
I found out that they had stopped putting a good TV guide in it a few months before. I used to look at that occasionally to see if there were any movies or new series starting.

Turns out they still had the TV guide in the delivered paper though I am not sure that it was in the "Sunday only delivery."

It was finally enough is enough or rather maybe "too little" is "too little."

When I was a kid, I had a morning paper route. It taught me a lot about working, handling money, handling people, and even that the news was interesting to read.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Likewise - the BBC News website is my source of news. I haven't read a print newspaper in years.
For world/international news, the BBC is heads and shoulders above the rest.

Corporate news barely covers international events, unless it directly affects its target audience. Most of the time the world news makes ya feel bad and there's just not enough demand for it to make money.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I, OTOH, read and prefer print newspapers and magazines. Just last month I finally went to a digital subscription for the New York Times but did so for 2 reasons: (1) it saved me $100 on the Nook Tablet and (2) the digital subscription cost less than one-half of the print subscription and promised more timely delivery.

But after a month of receiving it digitally, I'm thinking of going back to print.

I never watch TV so get no news that way and hate reading my newspaper on my PC. I suspect that preference has much to do with age. I've been reading print newspapers and magazines for more than 50 years. My son, however, prefers online.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I never watch TV so get no news that way and hate reading my newspaper on my PC. I suspect that preference has much to do with age. I've been reading print newspapers and magazines for more than 50 years. My son, however, prefers online.
The age bit doesn't work for me. I prefer digital over print any day. I heart gadgets.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Cheap and crappy always beats out more expensive and better in America. (I know, my cynicism is showing. ) And anything of quality that is going to survive needs to be monetized. It can survive if enough people pay enough of a premium to support it. Like toll roads, HBO, and personal shoppers.

If we want lengthy, well-researched, investigative journalism, we have to be willing to pay for it. Maybe we subscribe to an expanded online version while the free version provides the headline and a quick synopsis and a link for subscribers to "learn more."

Anything good that we want to survive, we must be willing to pay for. If we expect it for free, we must expect it to be crass, shallow, and monetized in some other way.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Cheap and crappy always beats out more expensive and better in America. (I know, my cynicism is showing.
Or sometimes expensive and better beats out cheap and better. A couple years ago I read a 1960's broadway book (I think it was The Season) which mentions that a broadway balcony ticket and a Manhattan movie ticket were similarly priced. Wow. Talk about the good old days.

I think that the US is likely to become more of a national newspaper country as local papers continue to decline.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #14
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Cheap and crappy always beats out more expensive and better in America. (I know, my cynicism is showing. ) And anything of quality that is going to survive needs to be monetized. It can survive if enough people pay enough of a premium to support it. Like toll roads, HBO, and personal shoppers.

If we want lengthy, well-researched, investigative journalism, we have to be willing to pay for it. Maybe we subscribe to an expanded online version while the free version provides the headline and a quick synopsis and a link for subscribers to "learn more."

Anything good that we want to survive, we must be willing to pay for. If we expect it for free, we must expect it to be crass, shallow, and monetized in some other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Or sometimes expensive and better beats out cheap and better. A couple years ago I read a 1960's broadway book (I think it was The Season) which mentions that a broadway balcony ticket and a Manhattan movie ticket were similarly priced. Wow. Talk about the good old days.

I think that the US is likely to become more of a national newspaper country as local papers continue to decline.
There is a new division of funds and time that is the change factor. The will to pay is there but different choices are being made.
True, newspapers and news magazines are declining, but it isn't because of a lack of money. Much more money and time is going into cable/sat/broadcast TV, the internet and cellular data plans than ever was put into newspapers or news magazines.

People are voting for their preferred media with their money and their eyes and ears and in general the majority of people are better informed about events today than they were 20 years ago and certainly 50 years ago.

One thing is very clear though. There will be many less print journalists in the future and that means that there will be less of a pool to draw the great journalists from. The great columnists, the great essay writers, the great reporters will also be in shorter supply.

In the old days, a man or woman might make a good life as a journalist/writer/editor for a newspaper or magazine while they honed their writing and thinking skills on the way to great thoughts, great writing, great books. Less and less of that will happen.

So "send not to know, for whom the bell tolls..."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I believe the last time I subscribed to a newspaper was around 2003-2004. After that I've bought maybe ten or fifteen in total, mainly in the anticipation of a short wait at the doctor's office, or maybe for use on a short flight. Now that I own an ereader the chance of me buying one ever again is pretty much non-existent.

Like others have said already, BBC's web site supplies my UK and general international news. For more localised news or to broaden the scope I regularly visit Reuters, Agence France Presse, Al Jazeera, Al Arabiya and CNN. For keeping up with specific, big stories (like the Libyan revolution and such) in "real time", Breaking News is very useful.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote