Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
cfguy100
cfguy100 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Need Help - Indicating "2nd Edition" of Book in Title?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to using Calibre- though I love all of the features & functions that the program includes!

My question is about book titling in Calibre- and I realize that there are probably multiple ways to handle this issue, and no "right" or "wrong" way.

But I would like others feedback on how they handle titling books in Calibre that are beyond the 1st edition.

Which title format is it more common to use? Some examples are listed below, but please feel free to introduce me to new techniques, as well.:

Building a House, Second Edition - Charles Smith (Feb, 2014)
Building a House, 2nd Edition - Charles Smith (Feb, 2014)
Building a House (Second Edition) - Charles Smith (Feb, 2014)
Building a House (2nd Edition) - Charles Smith (Feb, 2014)

Thanks so much for your help. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-cfguy
cfguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
title (and Author) sort ignores/drops stuff in paren

The Book Title (2ed) => Book Title, The
Joe Smith (ed) => Smith, Joe
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfguy100 View Post
Thanks so much for your help. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
@cfguy100 - firstly welcome to Mobileread

I use brackets, as in -- Some Book or Other [First Edition] by Someone Other [Editor]. The brackets don't get ignored, and on most keyboards they're unshifted.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I haven't ever dealt with editions, but usually when dealing with not-really-a-title information, I put that in a custom column an insert it into the title using a plugboard. Advantage -- sorting in calibre works properly.

My inexpert opinion is that Edition doesn't belong in the title.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I use parentheses appended to title, as in:
Learning Python (4th ed)

When appended to title after the initial Add of the book, parentheses persist in title_sort, and title in the booklist is sorted per entire title_sort including parentheses and their content. I use the tweak: title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'.

When Adding books per the regular expression I use, any parentheses and their content are stripped out. That is per regular expression, and (I assume) not any explicit calibre behavior outside the regular expression. The regular expression I use for Adding books is from the Quick Preferences plugin:

Code:
^(?P<author>((?!\s-\s).)+)\s-\s(?:(?:\[\s*)?(?P<series>.+)\s(?P<series_index>[\d\.]+)(?:\s*\])?\s-\s)?(?P<title>[^(]+)(?:\(.*\))?

Last edited by unboggling; 06-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Title is the bit at the end -- which specifically looks for a title composed of non-opening-parenthesis characters.

TBH, the regex looks as though someone very carefully designed it to lop off all content inside or after parentheses.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Title is the bit at the end -- which specifically looks for a title composed of non-opening-parenthesis characters.

TBH, the regex looks as though someone very carefully designed it to lop off all content inside or after parentheses.
Yes. I like that parens are stripped during the Add with that regular expression. Immediately after the Add, all I want to see for metadata is clean author(s), series and series_index, and title. Saves time not to have to delete and edit extra stuff. Also, most of my books are fiction, so I rarely need to append info to title for the purpose of making the authors/title key unique.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-11-2015 at 01:57 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Most parentheses I have seen contain the usual crufty "a novel|something series|etc." -- makes sense.

I do the same with post import cleanup filters, because I prefer using all embedded metadata.

Tags
book title, edition, edition handling, editions