Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question Site(s) For Age Recommendations?

Can anyone please recommend a site where one can enter a book title and receive a specific age recommendation?

My reason for asking:

My daughter is young but has a high reading IQ, so finding books for her can be difficult. She's in 3rd grade, reading at middle school level (approx. 7th grade). There are some YA books I don't mind her reading but others I feel that are not appropriate. There are times, however, that I just can't tell. She borrowed my Kindle yesterday and there were only 2 books that I knew for sure would be both reading level and age appropriate.

There are many movie rating sites, but I have yet to find one for books. I'd love to see categories either as specific as ages: "8-10", "9-12" or a little more forgiving such as "children", "pre-teen", "teen", etc.

Suggestions much appreciated.
Thank you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
There are several sites schools use to find reading levels of books. One of the more popular ones I know of is the Lexile Framework.

http://www.lexile.com/findabook/

It doesn't give an age or grade range, but it gives a score, and several standardized tests given in school will give you this number, or you can find a rough approximation on the site.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
There are several sites schools use to find reading levels of books. One of the more popular ones I know of is the Lexile Framework.

http://www.lexile.com/findabook/

It doesn't give an age or grade range, but it gives a score, and several standardized tests given in school will give you this number, or you can find a rough approximation on the site.
Ah yes, we are very familiar with Lexile scores (that's part of how we found out her reading level), but I did not know that a search was accessible to parents. My google-foo failed.

Thank you for the link! Much Karma to you!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
You could also use www.arbookfind.com we use it for our son.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
We found it easy enough to read the book first, or take opinions/judgements we trusted, and use our judgement accordingly.

We rather thought it came with the territory....

It's usually pretty plain what areas they like or are interested in - and I'd far rather trust us than an "expert" or a ratings scheme.

Unless things have to conform to a faith schematic or something.... In which case leave me out.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That looks interesting. I'm downloading the guide now, so that I can understand the various abbreviations! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
We found it easy enough to read the book first, or take opinions/judgements we trusted, and use our judgement accordingly.

We rather thought it came with the territory....

It's usually pretty plain what areas they like or are interested in - and I'd far rather trust us than an "expert" or a ratings scheme.

Unless things have to conform to a faith schematic or something.... In which case leave me out.
What an assumption laden, judgmental post you've made there...

I'm not asking anyone to think for me or make my decisions. I am looking for suggestions. As a full time volunteer at the school's media center and a conscientious parent, if there is a way to get a general idea of the age appropriateness of a book before hand, I'm going to use it.

My concern is not morality based (not that it would matter if it were). My husband and I are quite capable of teaching our children right from wrong, and appropriate from inappropriate, thank you.

What I've asked for is a guide for those times that I'm not 100% sure about a specific book.

Last edited by Nyssa; 09-12-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I want to thank you again! Your site reminded me to check the SRI site (Scholastic Reading Inventory) which is what our kids use. Both sites seem to compliment each other.

Much karma to you!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Glad I could help.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote