Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Creating Collections - What's the Fastest Way with Lots of Books

Hi Everyone: I have just received my 1st Kindle (used to have a Sony 700) and have a ton of books, all sorted by Author (I definitely will keep my collections this way).

I have downloaded Kindle Collection Manager and already used Callibre.

I just don't see any other way to make a collection that appears on my Kindle screen than the old manual put it in yourself by hand way. I've been reading and reading the forums and can't find a better way ...

Did I miss something? I'm really going crazy trying to figure this out ...

Thank you in advance

BTW, Love my KINDLE!!!!! Much better screen and quality than my old eReader!

friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
After using the kindle collection manager and creating your collections. Then you need to do two things. First restart the kindle. Two click the 5 way switch up on the home page and set it to sort by collections.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Thank you! I'll try that now ...
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Hi Everyone: I have just received my 1st Kindle (used to have a Sony 700) and have a ton of books, all sorted by Author (I definitely will keep my collections this way).

I have downloaded Kindle Collection Manager and already used Callibre.

I just don't see any other way to make a collection that appears on my Kindle screen than the old manual put it in yourself by hand way. I've been reading and reading the forums and can't find a better way ...

Did I miss something? I'm really going crazy trying to figure this out ...

Thank you in advance

BTW, Love my KINDLE!!!!! Much better screen and quality than my old eReader!

But take care; if you load a lot of books, the Kindle needs time for indexing and reloading. Just give it a rest for a bit, and than you can go ahead. I loaded a lot of books 2/300 at one go till I had my library on the Kindle (2000).
Also take time to read carefully in the manual what it says about collections.
There are threads about this. Like one from Harry explaining how to make your collections appear at the beginning. ( g.e. name a collection with a symbol up front: - A. Crime - B. Novel). Than let the Kindle sort it by ' title' and the collections will be the first to appear in alphabetical order.
Remember that if you are in a collection; there's a menu-option for adding/removing a whole page.
I used to order my books by alphabet; but now I'm happy with categories g.e. - A. Crime A-H etc. Good luck.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
friktion
Zealot

DesertBlues:

I've gotten my Collections to show first, used the [] symbols to hopefully do it right, but when I am in "collections", then sort by "title"

I get the Collection titles in bold, and right beneath each collection the entire series of books in it not bolded. Is this the only way to get the Collections to show alphabetically? I'm sure if there are a lot of collections, it will be very long to find a particular one, going page to page.

Can this be done?

And thank you, the tips are really helping
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you go to Home and sort by Title, it should give you the Collections first in alphabetical order (in bold) and than your books. Did you leave a space between - and A?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
friktion
Zealot

YES!! Thank you so much!

I had no space after my symbol - it works now!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Can I do this all (directories/subdirectories) on my computer or do I have to do it hands-on-Kindle (HOK)?
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
So it can only deal with Collections in alphabetical order? If I'm going to use numerical order for series, would i need to do [1] Title One [2] Different Title Two, etc.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Is there a collection manager for Mac?
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Can I make a collection on my computer and just drag and drop it afterwards on my Kindle? Or do I have to do all the collection set up on the Kindle?

I want to arrange them by authors and make it alphabetical how to do that? Do I have to put A, B, C -Z before the authors name so it will be sort out alphabetically?

Hope someone can help me here.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I use a zero (0) in front of all of my Collection names and once I sort BY TITLE, all of my Collections are alphabetical. I do this rather than use symbols because I can't keep straight which symbol proceeds another one.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I use a zero (0) in front of all of my Collection names and once I sort BY TITLE, all of my Collections are alphabetical. I do this rather than use symbols because I can't keep straight which symbol proceeds another one.

Thanks, I'll try that.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment

You all might want to check out these threads:

Troubleshooting sorting options:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96361

Is there a way to create collections on PC:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98194

Kindle, Calibre and autor sort:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/for...r=desc&page=10

But take care if you load a lot of books: indexing takes time on the Kindle and also takes a lot of batterylife. From my experience it is advisable to load it while/after indexing; even if the battery-indicator says full/half full. Good luck; it takes a lot of time, all the sorting, but one you're done, you're a happy camper.

edit; also don't overtax the Kindle right after loading a lot of books; it needs its energy for indexing. And don't forget to back it up.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-20-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Ordering collections to appear as you want them

you can add symbols infront of the collection name eg: _(){}[]<>'@=+ and so on. this helps display them in order when you sort by title, that is what Im doing, all my collections show on the first pages and in the order I want.......you can find the order by playing around with the symbols and seeing how they display. Off the top of my head I have used these to get items to display in order (first to last)
_ ' ~ < + > |
place the symbol, then a space, then the collection name, then sort by title and they appear in alphabetical order on the first page, collections first then books........... I use genres name and use one symbol for that section, then change to the next symbol for what ever section I want next and so on.

the list of priority is this....

from first to last, leave a space after symbol then collection name.

_
`
^
~
(
[
{
$

£
+
<
=
>
|
2 etc........

hope this helps, and remember once you rename the collections to sort by title, not collection, the all collections will show first.

I use _ for genres, ' for authors etc as this keeps groups together but they will sort alphabetically within the same symbol..... I want genres to show in the list before authors so I use _ for genres and ' for authors so they show after each other but group in order.......

eg:
_ fantasy
_ fiction
_ horror
' Hobb Robin
' Koontz Dean

hope that helps

Last edited by babyd; 09-20-2010 at 03:10 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote