Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Feature Request?

I looked, but I don't see a place to request features in future upgrades of Calibre. Here is my "problem" and the feature I would like to see added.

I "found" a lot of books when I wiped my kindle and sorted content on Calibre according to collections (I searched for Mystery tag, and moved the top 10 to my Kindle, etc.) That process, of browsing my Calibre library, convinced me I should do it more often. However, I can't tell what books are already on my Kindle. I have used tags to sort what I have read, but I was moving too many books to add an "on kindle" tag. When I connect my kindle, Calibre shows me which books are on the device. Is there any way of capturing that data, so I can disconnect my kindle and still know what is on it? Of course, Calibre could only show me what was on the kindle last time I hooked it up to Calibre.

There probably is a good reason why this can't be done, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks, Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC if you generate a catalog when the device is connected, that information will be in the catalog, though GRiker would have to confirm that is the case.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to see it while I am online with Calibre. Are you suggesting toggling back and forth between the catelog and Calibre (as you can tell, I am not a power user.)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With you kindle connected, type the following into the calibre search bar

ondevice:true

This will restrict your book list to only books on your kindle. Then geenrate a catalog in CSV format. You can then import the CSV catalog into excel and switch between calibre and excel to see which books are on the kindle.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks, Kovid. Doesn't sound too hard. But is it possible to have a user defined column that contains this info? I really don't want to switch back and forth - I get too engrossed in the books, but I would like to skip over the ones already on my kindle.

Maybe I am the only one who would find this useful. I have my home page on my Kindle reduced to one page, to keep it clean. And I find am more likely to read the books if they are on my kindle, as I only keep a few in each collection. I can easily see what books are on my kindle when it is attached - I just want to be able to keep this information after the kindle is detached.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

do the following:

1) before connecting your kindle select all books and use the bulk metadata edit to remove the tag onkindle

2) Connect kindle and type ondevice:true in the search

3) then select all the books returned by the search and use the bulk metadata edit to add the tag onkindle

4) Disconnect kindle

Enjoy.

Alternatively, you can use a custom column instead of a tag, the procudeure is the same
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks!