Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Manual update link from Amazon

good things come to those who wait. For those of us not on whispernet here is the email I got from Amazon with the link to the software. Much prefer to get it from the source than some of these link published.

Natalie

Hello,

The most recent version of Kindle software is 2.5, as you're unable to update via Whispernet, you can update it through the below link.

You can download and install the updates manually by following the instructions on the Kindle Software Updates Help page:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates

The software updates page also includes information about the features included in the latest software update.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I would have been very happy to use luvmy4brats link if I hadnt received it wirelessly. And will also install the hacks for the font and screensaver when they are done. Good that Amazon emailed you though.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes it is Pushka as surprisingly a lot of us dont have the wireless facility so we have to seek our selves. You see some of us on here dont want to use hacks or strip DRM's off our books and are happy to use our Kindles via Amazon legally. Weird concept I know but I am not trusting an investment like that to some links I dont know anything about.

Natalie
Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you know Natalie that Amazon have stated that using the hacks does not invalidate your warranty on your kindle? So it isn't considered illegal to do so by them. I don't do the drm thing btw. That is an entirely different issue to what I was talking about. I am also aware that others choose differently too!

Last edited by Pushka; 06-16-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
nwinter, I think you're way overreacting here. All people were doing was sharing the bin files they legally received (if you must bring legalities into it) and uploading them for the benefit of anyone interested. There was never any risk, illegality or untowardness in sharing the 2.5 update bin files. In fact, it probably helped Amazon to take care of some of the bugs users were experiencing so that they could then release the 2.5.2 update that you now happen to be in possession of.

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 06-16-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
nwinter
Zealot

Not at all Sheikspere. I, like a lot of people, have no interest in using hacks however they arrive. I have been waiting patiently, like everyone else and have a genuine link on the Amazon web page that those of us unable to update wireless can use. Thought it might be helpful to those others on here like me. I am a simple person who has the patience to wait and I dont want to use hacks on my unit which I think should be my choice.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
yes it is Pushka as surprisingly a lot of us dont have the wireless facility so we have to seek our selves. You see some of us on here dont want to use hacks or strip DRM's off our books and are happy to use our Kindles via Amazon legally. Weird concept I know but I am not trusting an investment like that to some links I dont know anything about.

Natalie
I think there's a big difference between stripping DRM off books and using the hacks. There's nothing illegal about installing the hacks on your Kindle.

In any case, the file I posted was not a hack to begin with. It was the file that Amazon sent my Kindle! I was just able to copy it before it was able to install itself. The same one that was sent to a bunch of other Kindle at the same time as mine. I'm just the only one that was able to make a copy. Nothing illegal about that.

And as others have stated, Amazon does not consider using hacks as a violation and they do not void your warranty. They just don't support them if something happens when installing (and I've never seen anything happen that couldn't be fixed) Here's a post from the customer service thread from last year (the original amazon post is linked at the bottom)

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...html#msg104666
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
I dont want to use hacks on my unit which I think should be my choice.
And no-one has ever said anything differently. Quite the opposite.

However, there are obvious implications in your post, when raising the DRM issue which had never been mentioned, in a discussion about the update and hack, that people using hacks and links provided by Amazon (to others) are acting illegally. Quite simply, we are not.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Quote:
Not at all Sheikspere. I, like a lot of people, have no interest in using hacks however they arrive. I have been waiting patiently, like everyone else and have a genuine link on the Amazon web page that those of us unable to update wireless can use. Thought it might be helpful to those others on here like me. I am a simple person who has the patience to wait and I dont want to use hacks on my unit which I think should be my choice.
Who's talking about hacks? I too have no hacks on my Kindle. Sharing the official Amazon 2.5 update on your device with another user does not constitute a "hack". It does not breach anything. These updates are free for Kindle users. Once you download them onto your PC, it's no big deal if 2, 3 or a 100 users use the same file. There's no rule that says that each Kindle user is permitted one download on his/her PC. This is not Stalinist Russia we're talking about.

As for the moralising about being a simple person, no disrespect my friend, but simple people use paper -- not sophisticated reading devices like us! :-)

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 06-17-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote