Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Do you like L. Ron Hubbard?

I"m not a big fan, but the Amazon Kindle blog posted this today...5 of his 'pulp fiction' books listed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK19JG1TQHR3Q45
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh no, are you looking for trouble? Any mention at MR results in flame wars!

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh no, are you looking for trouble? Any mention at MR results in flame wars!

Excuse me? I did not realize that. I was just trying to post for those interested........

Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
None of his more famed pulp works.

Here's my top 5 of his pulp works. All are 60,00 words or less.

1. Final Blackout. - Gripping reading. Grimmer than grim. If you were only going to read one of his pulp works, this is it.

2. Typewriter in the Sky - An absolute hoot of a fantasy. The mirror reverse of Final Blackout in tone and style.

3. To the Stars - A human view of long term Einsteinian Time Dilation.

4. Slaves of Sleep - A rollicking tale of an alternate universe.

5. The Indigestable Triton - Another rollicking fantasy.

Bonus - A children's story of Hollywood - The Automagic Horse.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
You know, I've never read anything of his. I think I found out that he was a sci-fi writer long after all the Scientology stuff came along.

By then, I had decided (rightly or wrongly) that he was out of his mind, so I just turned away from his work as something that wouldn't interest me.

I know ... bad idea to let one's prejudices keep one from enjoying a good read, but there you have it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You know, I've never read anything of his. I think I found out that he was a sci-fi writer long after all the Scientology stuff came along.

By then, I had decided (rightly or wrongly) that he was out of his mind, so I just turned away from his work as something that wouldn't interest me.

I know ... bad idea to let one's prejudices keep one from enjoying a good read, but there you have it.
Rickey, just because you think somebody went off his rocker a one point in time, doesn't mean he was so before then. You ought to give Typewriter in the Sky a go. It's great fun (and under 50,00 words).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Battlefield Earth", is a decent "Space Opera" novel, although it was made into what is arguably one of the worst movies of all time. The book, though, I thoroughly enjoyed, and have read several times.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can't stand "Dianetics" (or Scientology). I read the original in Astounding (back when I owned a copy), and thought it was nonsense.

Then, when I read about poor A.E. Van Vogt suffering terrible headaches because of the idioc* of Hubbard regarding eyeglasses and migranes (What the fu** !!!), I felt immense sadness for Van Vogt.

Hubbard was an ok hack, a minor pulp writer. He had a great imagination.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
So many nice things to read, I won't waste my time and psyche with the father of scientology. I don't think a little bit of triage of what you'll be reading is realy unfair or prejudice.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Battlefield Earth", is a decent "Space Opera" novel, although it was made into what is arguably one of the worst movies of all time. The book, though, I thoroughly enjoyed, and have read several times.
Battlefield Earth started off ok enough, but quickly went downhill fast. It was overly long and there were a number of places it could have ended. Overall, I'd call it a waste of time to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Put me in the camp "Can't read because of the whole Scientology thing."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As an SP and a friend of an SP , I can't read the stuff of a man who said I was okay to be exterminated.

Sorry.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Nope, he's almost as bad as Ray Bradbury.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
As an SP and a friend of an SP , I can't read the stuff of a man who said I was okay to be exterminated.

Sorry.
SP?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Nope, he's almost as bad as Ray Bradbury.

OH, you so did not say that!!! Take it back!!!!