Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing

Has anyone here ever tried it? If so how did it work for you?
It's available from Smashwords for $9.99 in various formats.
Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I haven't read it, but I'm impressed by the promise of a complete novel in 30 or less. It usually takes me longer (sometimes much longer) to complete a short story.

Like most Smashwords' titles, it's available at Kobo. If I was going to read it I think I'd wait for the next contest and apply a coupon -- at $10 it's pretty expensive for my budget.

Last edited by cromag; 08-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Money for old rope. Save your money. That series how to right a really good novel, etc, is much better.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
A more interesting question might be: How did it work for him? If I was tempted (which I'm not, I'm not looking for a plan), then I'd probably pick up a few of his novels and see what they're like.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I haven't read it, but I'm impressed by the promise of a complete novel in 30 or less. It usually takes me longer (sometimes much longer) to complete a short story.
30 what? 30 minutes? 30 years?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, sometimes I think faster than I can type. According to the cover copy, it's 30 days or less.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Really?

You really read the original post and didn't know it was 30 days, or legitimately thought that someone else reading it might assume it was a book on how to write a novel in 30 years? Strange that you were so concerned about that point that you didn't just click on the link, almost as if the point of your post was merely to show off your keen eye for detail.

I think I'll submit your exchange to an on-line dictionary as an example of the word "pedantic". At least then there will be some value in it.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 08-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Really?

You really didn't read the original post and didn't know it was 30 days, or legitimately thought that someone else reading it might assume it was a book on how to write a novel in 30 years? Strange that you were so concerned about that point that you didn't just click on the link, almost as if the point of your post was merely to show off your keen eye for detail.
I did indeed click on the link. The blurb for the book says:

Quote:
This bestselling classic guide to novel writing breaks down the creative process into 16 manageable tasks. You'll learn how to find a story hook, create a conflict, develop a protagonist and set everything in motion. A former editor, now a successful literary agent and author, Marshall also covers editing your own work, submitting to agents and editors, and surviving in this competitive field.
I see no mention of 30 anythings there. Perhaps you might like to try being a little more helpful and less sarcastic?

Last edited by HarryT; 08-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
I see no mention of 30 anythings there.
Check the cover the book
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did indeed click on the link. The blurb for the book says:

I see no mention of 30 anythings there. Perhaps you might like to try being a little more helpful and less sarcastic?
Anyone reading Cromag's post would have reasonably assumed 30 days and not 30 seconds, minutes, years, decades or whatever other period of time. Or they would have clicked the link and seen this book cover:

My comment was to poke fun at a self-aggrandizing post disguised as pedantry.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 08-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have graphics turned off on my tablet's web browser, and so don't see things like covers. Don't be so damned rude when you don't know what people have or have not seen.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-05-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Ninjalawyer
Guru

Quote:
I have graphics turned off on my tablet's web browser, and so don't see things like covers. Don't be so damned rude when you don't know what people have or have not seen.
I was rude, but not about that.

The point of my comment wasn't about what you might or might not have seen, it was about what a reasonable person would take from someone's post, and whether or not the point of your post was really about needed clarification or just to be pedantic.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
cromag

Anyone who knows me would consider 30 years to be a fairly reasonable expectation for a novel-length work.

Perhaps my friends could all take a few deep breaths.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I imagine the 30 days is just for the 1st draft. I've yet to hear of any writer not needing at least a little edit time after writing something.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
cromag

Of course, I'm not going to start the timer until I get an idea that will sustain a novel-length story. I'll keep you posted!