Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
worley
worley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
KPW Text not properly aligned in MOBI only in AZW3

I just got a new Paperwhite. I was getting to know it, everything seemed to work fine. I then uploaded some books from Calibre, in MOBI format. All these books appeared with irregular text alignment; to be specific the justification was irregular. Throughout the book entire book.

The text is aligned with the left, but not with the right. Sometimes the justification is correct, but only for a few paragraphs at the most. It is very distracting. Sometimes there will only be a few words per line, when there obviously space for more words, and the text will continue on the next line.

In some books, the justification is more irregular than in others. ALL these books work fine in my Kindle Fire. Books that are directly download from amazon also display the problem.

Weirdly (for me at least), converting the books to AZW3 format fixes the problem. Why?

I have too many books, all in the old MOBI format. I would hate to have to convert all of them.

Anyone with the same issue. With any suggestions?
worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worley View Post
Weirdly (for me at least), converting the books to AZW3 format fixes the problem. Why?

I have too many books, all in the old MOBI format. I would hate to have to convert all of them.

Anyone with the same issue. With any suggestions?
As I understand it, the Touch and Paperwhite have separate viewers for these formats, and the mobi one will consistently show wonky justification to avoid 'rivers' (large gaps in the text). The AZW3 viewer shows even justification with rivers.

You have two options: (1) convert your books to AZW3 (a pain, especially if you have a ton of books) or to mobi again, setting text alignment in calibre to 'left align' if rivers in AZW3 bother you; (2) wait and pray that the devs can manage to port JBPatch to the Paperwhite. JBPatch provides perfectly even justified text plus language-specific hyphenation support in the older mobi format (but not yet in AZW3) -- highly preferable IMO to the rivers in AZW3. To install JBPatch, your Kindle will have to be jailbroken.

NB: If your PW is still on firmware 5.2.0, you might consider jailbreaking and 'bridging' your PW *now* before updating to the latest firmware (5.3.0), for which there is currently no jailbreak (see this thread for more info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645).

Last edited by veezh; 11-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
worley

Thanks for replying. I don't mind the rivers, I just want the text to be uniformly justified. Unfortunately I already did update the software. I hoped, in vain, that it would correct the issue.

What annoys me even more is that even the books that I downloaded from Amazon, have this problem. Parts of it are correctly justified, other parts are left-aligned, some times just a few lines per page will be left-aligned, or justified for that matter.

I wonder if it might be my actual unit that is defected?!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
I share your pain... The idea of having to give up hyphenation and proper justification would have been enough for me not to have upgraded from the Touch to the PW had there been no improvements to the fonts and screen resolution. I personally find the occasional jagged edge very distracting... If it's any consolation, the effects of Amazon's mobi justification algorithm are even worse in languages like German and Dutch, where longer word length, more often than not, results in jagged edges.

And no, it's not your unit. Unfortunately, you'll have to convert your books to AZW3 (if your computer is fast, you might try a batch conversion in calibre, which should speed up the process somewhat).
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What annoys me even more is that even the books that I downloaded from Amazon, have this problem. Parts of it are correctly justified, other parts are left-aligned, some times just a few lines per page will be left-aligned, or justified for that matter.

It's nothing to do with the book - it's the justification algorithm that the Kindle (all Kindle models) use to display Mobi books. If justification would result in an excessive amount of blank space being inserted into the line, that line is left left-justified.

It doesn't bother me personally, but I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it (except, as has been said, to convert your books to AZW3). That's just the way it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
worley

Veezh, I know what you mean I also read in Portuguese and Spanish, the words are also longer, and it is even worse. I'm glad though that it's not just my unit. I thought it was, only because it doesn't happen in my Fire. But the Paperwhite is still a much better ereader than the fire, the Fire is a tablet, I wish I had realized that when I bought it. Thanks for the explanation Harry.