Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Spare Cover Files Being Deleted - SOLVED

When I add a book, sometimes I don't like the cover so I'll Google to see if there is a cover I prefer. Until I make a final decision, I store the alternate cover (with an alternate name) in the same folder that has the original "cover.jpg".

I've just noticed a change in Calibre behavior. Don't know when it occurred, possibly with version 8.63 or 8.64:

If I Edit Metadata and change the book Title or Author for a book with a spare cover, the spare cover vanishes! It is gone from the book folder, not in the recycle bin, it is deleted ... gone ... cyberdust!

I could be having a "senior moment", but I'm 99% sure this is new behavior.
I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that the same thing occurs in their Calibre Library.

Thanks!

Last edited by MartyTX; 08-12-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: SOLVED!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Probably the issue is that since calibre does not know (in it's database) about any extra files being stored in the same directory as the book, when the book is moved to a new location (by changing Author or Title), the only material moved is that which calibre knows about...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
I believe.... Calibre is not changing the author or title folder when you change the metadata.

Its creating a new folder and moving the files to the new folder.

The files it did not recognize (and therefore did not move) are still in the original folder where they started.

John Smith (folder)
First book (folder)
First book - John Smith.mobi
cover.jpg
Alt Cover.jpg
Alt2 Cover.jpg

Renamed to Johnny Smith

The book and cover will be moved to the new folders (Johnny Smith/First book)
But the Alt covers will still be in (John Smith/First book) EDIT: Nope the folder and Alt covers are deleted

Because Calibre does not see them in the original folder cause they are not in its database.

EDIT: Correction: looks like the original folder and the extra covers are being deleted after the book files in the database are moved to the new folder.

So if you want to keep the Alt covers until you decide on which to choose, you can NOT rename the author or title of the book.

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 08-12-2012 at 12:27 AM.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Thanks! SOLVED!

Hi PeterT and JohnnyBook,

Thanks for the replies. I ran a few tests with Edit Metadata and you're right. The original folders along with all superfluous content like spare covers were deleted.

Apparently, I was just lucky in the past and did not change author/title before cover tweaking was completed. As usual, a case of operator error, not Calibre error.

Even on a clear day ... the memory can be a bit foggy.

Kudos to both of you ...

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I add Alternate covers I want to keep to the book with Sigil.
I just place the Images after the main (the one that Calibre would fetch) cover, Then split the cover page between the original, renaming the new part altcvr.xhtml (relocate the position to taste).

Yes, this dose make the file a bit larger
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
If I have only 1 alternate cover, I add it to Calibre and merge it to the book. If I've found more pictures and stuff to add, I make rar file and merge that.
Adding+merging informs Calibre about additional format (jpg, rar) and ensures that everything stays together. Sometimes I may add txt with notes (1.opens faster than rar, 2. adding it is simple drag'n'drop operation)
As an added bonus I don't have to bother with filenames - ppp.rar will be 'Isaac Asimov - Foundation' after merging.

When I at last want to edit some epub all I need is to search for jpg format and choose from the results.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
I've been adding these spare covers that I want to hang onto as an additional format of the book. When the file browser window opens up, you can change from "Books" to "All Files" and then can add the image from there.

This has been mostly used when authors independently release their backlist titles with a new cover. Sometimes I want to keep the original cover for nostalgia sake, rather than replacing the cover in the book file.
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote