Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Question 650 or 950?

I finally got opportunity from my parent to buy another reader today. I see 650 and 950 are best ones currently.
Money isn't a problem. Which of the two readers is best for academic PDFs? How is Calibre experience for both readers?
I may be inclined more towards 950 for WiFi wikipedia, but i am still in confusion, which should I buy because of "odd" screen size of 950.
Please give your suggestions freely.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Being in the US i would go for the 950.
The screen size is better for PDFs.
Take a look at the 950 PDF review here.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
I notice that you are from India. Look, pdf suppoprt is not perfect in any of the smaller devices and I hope you know that. But if we are talking first among equals, then yes, PRS 950 is the best out there. I would have said Kindle DX with its large screen, but then I have heard that it does not have a proper PDF support. I am not sure, though, so take my take on this with a HANDFUL of salt.

Also, you already have an eink device, so can I suggest you to go for a tablet for pdfs. Any android based tabs will be good. If you can afford the iPad, then nothing like it!

But, if for some reason you HAVE to have an eink device, then yeah go for PRS 950. Custom zoom dials, zoom locking, epub support, 2 page landscape view, resolution of 1024 x xxx and what not. But, please make sure that the Wifi works in India. 3g does not.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I was hesitating also between the two, and I would have taken the 950 if it was sold here (France), because I really would like WiFi for Wikipedia search. Unfortunately, it's sold in US only, I could buy it from an online site, but you have to add import fees and some hassle if there is a problem with the device.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
I notice that you are from India. Look, pdf suppoprt is not perfect in any of the smaller devices and I hope you know that. But if we are talking first among equals, then yes, PRS 950 is the best out there. I would have said Kindle DX with its large screen, but then I have heard that it does not have a proper PDF support. I am not sure, though, so take my take on this with a HANDFUL of salt.

Also, you already have an eink device, so can I suggest you to go for a tablet for pdfs. Any android based tabs will be good. If you can afford the iPad, then nothing like it!

But, if for some reason you HAVE to have an eink device, then yeah go for PRS 950. Custom zoom dials, zoom locking, epub support, 2 page landscape view, resolution of 1024 x xxx and what not. But, please make sure that the Wifi works in India. 3g does not.
Good points!
I always would prefer e-Ink device over android tablet. Even then, I am going to buy "Sakshat", you know the Indian government student initiative. But as I need to read too many books for my PG studies for long time, a big-screen touch-screen and e-Ink (which does no thurt my eyes even when I read for 8 hrs continuously, my experience) is what I always prefer. 950 adds Wifi to it, which is alwqays available at my home and at college campus easily. So I think I would go for 950.

But still I wonder, I think i am also going to buy devices with mirasol displays soon.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Yeah, I can feel for you. eink sahi mein bot mast cheez banayi hai. Aankhon ko lagti hi nai hai.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Smile

Due to increasing eyestrain, I just sold my beloved Sony 505 on ebay and plan to get the larger 950.

Why the 950? During my in-store evaluations of the Kindles and Sony 650/950 units, I brought some demo files to test on the Sonys.

Bottom line - I had a graphic heavy pdf file that was converted to LRF format using the hard to find pdflrfwin software. The resulting quality on the 950 was incredible!!!

I can't wait to get more $$$ from the upcoming holiday season to buy the new Sony....

I also plan to get the BookArmor case. The one I had for the 505 was the strongest and lightest case I've ever seen..

Now -- if we can get some menu, font, application, and other "new tricks" for the 950 -- THAT would be wonderful.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote