Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #31
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I bought my wife an ipad, and got a NC for myself. For reading, I like NC's size/weight and form better. On the iPad, there is a very nice video streaming app (from your home network) called Airvideo, I wish they have something like that for Android because it quickly became the most used app (especially by my 3 year old!).

I am comfortable checking email/surfing on both but obviously, the iPad's bigger screen is easier as I don't have to zoom/scroll as much. I generally stick with my NC unless I need to watch a video on either Netflix or from my home network.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The example I'm using is Home Power Magazine, issues distributed in PDF format on CDs. In this case, the PDFs are tagged... that is, it's not a page image like a traditional PDF, but ISO-compliant tagged text on the page (images don't move or change). Properly-tagged PDFs can reflow text, which is why PDFs can be read on different-sized devices like PDAs and smartphones (with actual Adobe Reader software). And the problems with them are problems I've seen many times over the years reading tagged PDFs, usually caused by font issues, low memory issues, or substandard non-Adobe PDF viewers.

Because of at least one of the limitations above, the text comes out garbled when the files are viewed on the iPad. Usually it takes the form of a line of text being broken into 2 or 3 sections, then "shuffled around" on the line so that letters and words from section 3, say, overlap those of section 1, section 1 may overlap part of section 2, etc, making the entire line unreadable.

It's a particularly frustrating garbling, because you can see the words are there, but completely jumbled and reshuffled so as to be unreadable.

On the NC, the same files displayed perfectly.

The watermarked files I referenced was the 40 Years of the X-Men DVD-ROM Set. Each page has a watermark over it that displays on the iPad and NC, but it does not display on a laptop running the latest Adobe reader SW.
Interesting.

I have never, ever, faced that problem before. Let me see if I can try to get a copy of that PDF and try.

By the way, which PDF app are you using on iPad? I do not use stock software but GoodReader. That's the best PDF reader for iPad, in my opinion. Similar to RepliGo on Android, but much powerful and faster.

But I maintain what I said. Most PDFs read perfect on Apple iPad an in general terms, any device. I believe your case is unique and not the rule for remaining users.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I have never, ever, faced that problem before.
I used to work in in-house print shops, handling digital files and printing them on high-speed copier printers (Xerox DocuTech, Kodak Lionheart, etc). I worked with a lot of PDFs, run through a lot of reader versions and printed on various devices. If the hardware and software weren't properly set or loaded, or the office network was having bandwidth issues, I'd see that garbling regularly. It's more common with large files, but I've seen it on single-page flyers, too.

Quote:
By the way, which PDF app are you using on iPad? I do not use stock software but GoodReader. That's the best PDF reader for iPad, in my opinion. Similar to RepliGo on Android, but much powerful and faster.
I believe I tried GoodReader, and definitely 3 other third-party PDF players... same outcome on each. Since then I haven't tried to read any PDFs on the iPad, and I honestly can't remember if any of the apps are still aboard.

Quote:
I believe your case is unique and not the rule for remaining users.
People keep telling me that lately! I'm going to change my title to The Most Unique Person In The World.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-17-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
The example I'm using is Home Power Magazine, issues distributed in PDF format on CDs. In this case, the PDFs are tagged... that is, it's not a page image like a traditional PDF, but ISO-compliant tagged text on the page (images don't move or change). Properly-tagged PDFs can reflow text, which is why PDFs can be read on different-sized devices like PDAs and smartphones (with actual Adobe Reader software). And the problems with them are problems I've seen many times over the years reading tagged PDFs, usually caused by font issues, low memory issues, or substandard non-Adobe PDF viewers.

Because of at least one of the limitations above, the text comes out garbled when the files are viewed on the iPad. Usually it takes the form of a line of text being broken into 2 or 3 sections, then "shuffled around" on the line so that letters and words from section 3, say, overlap those of section 1, section 1 may overlap part of section 2, etc, making the entire line unreadable.

Yeah I wish I would have seen that line, I thought you had problems reading PDF on any device Nook/iPad.

I spent some time downloading the PDF file to see if it worked on my Nook, and as you mentioned yep it works just fine.

BTW I have seen some of the overlapping issues and misalignment as you mentioned on different. Reflowing is not perfect there are going to be PDFs that trip up any reflow engine. At this point however I know ahead of time what patterns are going to cause the failure.

In my experience however repligo PDF rendering engine is second only to Adobe, by a small margin. However the features RepliGo provides are far better than Adobe.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 03-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
In my experience however repligo PDF rendering engine is second only to Adobe, by a small margin.
I don't recall seeing or trying that one (but I did go through a number of apps). I'll see if I can retrace my steps, and if I haven't tried that one on the iPad, I'll download it and see.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #36
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I don't recall seeing or trying that one (but I did go through a number of apps). I'll see if I can retrace my steps, and if I haven't tried that one on the iPad, I'll download it and see.
I could be wrong, but I believe RepliGo only makes their reader for BlackBerrys and Android.

link. http://www.cerience.com/

I came across their product on the BlackBerry platform because they where the only shop in town at the time. Since then they've expanded to support the Android Platform. I'm not sure if they have an iPhone app in the works.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

It's a particularly frustrating garbling, because you can see the words are there, but completely jumbled and reshuffled so as to be unreadable.

The watermarked files I referenced was the 40 Years of the X-Men DVD-ROM Set. Each page has a watermark over it that displays on the iPad and NC, but it does not display on a laptop running the latest Adobe reader SW.
FYI...
I have loaded the sample copy of the homepower magazine on my iPod Touch (4G) and iPad 1. Both devices displayed the magazine clearly and cleanly. I'm using the Bookman app (my preferred app for reading PDF, CBZ, and CBR files).

I have watermarked pdf files of comic books as well and Bookman does not display the watermark on those devices.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
FYI...
I have loaded the sample copy of the homepower magazine on my iPod Touch (4G) and iPad 1. Both devices displayed the magazine clearly and cleanly. I'm using the Bookman app (my preferred app for reading PDF, CBZ, and CBR files).

I have watermarked pdf files of comic books as well and Bookman does not display the watermark on those devices.
I don't think I saw the Bookman app, so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #39
osu
osu began at the beginning.

Device: whatever.
Talking Ipad, Nook, Netbook, iTouch, iPhone.

I have an iPad 2 and, now, a Nook Simple Touch.

I was debating whether that would be excessive, but decided to go with it. The Nook ST was a gift. Family had asked me what I wanted and given me options-- the Nook ST was one of the cheaper options, so I chose it. I wanted it for the e-ink screen. I have enjoyed the Nook ST already. It's light, easy to hold for hours and hours, and easy to read on with the e-ink.

Devices:
- iPhone, iTouch... used for games and very light apps (weather).
- Got a netbook a few years ago, partially as a gift. Used it a lot.. until I got a laptop. I used to browse and read and everything on the netbook.
- Got a Nook original. Used it heavily the first months, then didn't use it at all. Sold it.
- Got an iPad 2. Didn't expect to use it much, but ended up using it every day since I've had it. Books, games, light browsing, movies, music, audiobooks.

The iPad and netbook both go with me on trips. The iPad sucks to type on, so "real work" or e-mails, I do on the netbook. The netbook is still harder to do 'real work' than on the laptop.

The iPad is used for trips and for daily use for music, reading, light web browsing, apps, videos (HBO2Go). I use it all the time. Definitely gotten my money's worth on that one.

I got a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. I decided to put textbooks and more in-depth reading on it, and use my iPad more for fun books.

I love reading on the Nook ST because of the e-ink. It's much easier on my eyes. But, I only do library books and don't like having to constantly browse, download, transfer with Adobe Digital Editions, etc. onto the Nook every time I want to read. (I read... a lot.) So, the Nook gets books that are long, or have a long expiration date from the library, or are textbooks... anything that would be useful to have for a while. The iPad gets color books, PDFs, audiobooks, and anything I don't feel like downloading with Adobe Digital Editions. If the Nook ST could check out and download library books on it's own, I would adore it. Otherwise, I like it... but it's not perfect.

I like having the Nook ST because it's cheaper, so I'm more comfortable using it in bookstores, libraries, coffee shops, transit, on the beach, etc. I'm less worried about it, which is nice. I don't put a case on it-- the cases I've seen are too expensive compared to the cost of the device. It seems sturdier than an iPad and I don't mind throwing the Nook ST in my bag. The Nook ST is super light... much lighter than the original Nook I had. The Nook ST doesn't have any speakers or headphone jack at all, which is lame... but the original Nook had such a crappy audio player that I probably won't miss it. The Nook ST only has the crappy hidden web browser, while the original Nook had a relatively decent browser. The Nook ST screen is really, really small. I'm constantly having to turn pages. Turning pages so often is less of an issue on the iPad or original Nook. The Nook ST size is great for being portable and light... definitely easier to hold a Nook ST in one hand to read for hours than an iPad.

Sometimes I leave the Nook St in my bag, and the iPad on my desk-- makes it nice to have different devices so I don't forget my reading material at home.

It's definitely not necessary to have both (or either), but.. it is enjoyable.

So, I plan to keep the iPad 2 and Nook ST.

If I had received a Nook Color for Christmas, I might have considered selling the iPad just for the money... but the Nook ST is cheap enough that I just assume keep it. I couldn't make that much from it, and it is fun to have... just not necessary. I have used both the Nook ST and iPad 2 regularly, sometimes at the same time (music on iPad 2, reading on Nook). I suppose I could sell both and get a Nook Color for the money, but, for most things, I enjoy the 10 inch iPad screen.
osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #40
lscruz
lscruz began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Nook & iPad

I have had my iPad since they were first introduced and every generation kindle since they also hit the market. I am new to the Barnes & Noble devices and decided to go with the nook tablet this year over the kindle fire due to obvious hardware flexibilities.

I am one to adopt new technology and have often found room for another device but I usually sell my old devices to upgrade which reduce the cost for my pocketbook and save money for family members as well.

Since I wasn't familiar with the nook, I went in open minded and decided to root my tablet to get the most flexibility with loading apps and being able to use the device to meet the bulk of my needs. As others have stated the iPad is ideal for couch web browsing, reading and play games but is bulky for travel. Because I was looking for another device to better meet those needs of more portability I went with the nook.

I will keep my tablet and my iPad 3G for road trips and my NT for other stuff around the house including reading at night whether it is on B&N or Kindle apps as well as keeping my kindle touch for dr apts etc.
lscruz is offline   Reply With Quote