Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I recently sent my PRS-700 (approximately 2 years old) to the Sony repair depot and asked for a battery replacement, since I had to recharge it at least 3 times to get through one ebook. It was still under an extended warranty.

They returned it, saying it passed a battery charge test, and recommended that I charge it using an A/C (mains) adapter. I have always charged my PRS-700 using a Sony A/C (mains) adapter.

The problem still persisted so I sent it back to the Sony repair depot and again asked for a battery replacement. This time they sent it back with a new battery and the following notice:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE ON BATTERY POWER
Please turn off the Reader from the main menu to conserve the charge on your Reader's battery. When the power switch is used the Reader enters standby mode to allow for quick startup, but continues to draw power and depletes the battery's charge.
I have not used my reader since the battery was replaced. I have first to finish an ebook I'm reading on another reader.

I'd be interested in your results, astra, to see if your test improves the times between charges. The PRS-700 is also a touch screen. It has side-lights but I seldom use them since they deplete the battery a lot faster.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I shut down 650 twice a day on weekdays.
There is a certain pattern how I read.

21.30-23.00 or 22.00-23.00---> shutdown--->10h minimum between reading sessions--->

around 09.00/10.00/11.00/12.00 I read 20 minutes--->turn on and leave it in standby--->

around 14.00 I read 30-40 minutes--->shutdown till 21.30--->7-8h between reading sessions.

We will see
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
astra, I'm doing the opposite of you and doing a test where I only put my Reader in standby between reading sessions.

I previously did a full shut-down each night before bed but now want to see my battery life using standby only.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
astra, I'm doing the opposite of you and doing a test where I only put my Reader in standby between reading sessions.

I previously did a full shut-down each night before bed but now want to see my battery life using standby only.
Interesting
For me it lasted 16 days if I only read books and used dictionary/changing tex size, doing any other menu related operation at bare minimum. If I used it freely, then 14 days.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
astra
The Introvert

Reporting.

I have finished charging up my reader on Thursday, 13th January 2011.
Today is Tuesday, 7th February 2011.
3 and 1/2 weeks.

I was Powering off/shut down reader between sessions twice a day.
Time off:
23.00 -10.00
15.00 - 22.00

For the first time in four years that I have ebook reader I have forgotten it in the office over weekend. So, one time from 11.00 Friday till 11.00 Monday it was powered off.
I also read a bit less one week.

However, even though it is 3 weeks, it is longer than 2 weeks on stand by

MaxLV - thanks for a valuable piece of advice. That's how I am going to use the reader from now on. Only I am not going to wait until it depletes the battery completely, but put it on charge when 1 bar is left.
It is nowhere close to the time you reported, but still better than what I had in stand by mode.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Hello all. I've always felt it better to put your reader on stanby when you're likely to use it in the next couple of hours.
Consider the analogy of cars at a traffic light or in heavy traffic. You'd be killing your car if you kept starting it up every 5 minutes. How do you all feel?

Last edited by Fortissimo; 02-12-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Hello all. I've always felt it better to put your reader on stanby when you're likely to use in the next couple of hours.
Consider the analogy of cars at a traffic light or in heavy traffic. You'd be killing your car if you kept starting it up every 5 minutes. How do you all feel?
Mine is in constant stand-by mode because I love this feature extremely. My old reader took two stops when I rode the underground to boot. Now it is an instant reaction. As I tend to fall asleep while reading I never switch it off at night, so its stand-by always. Even though and with reading around a 1000 pbook pages it only needs a box stop every two weeks.

Man, I love this little bugger!!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've never shut completely down since I got my device (when they first came out).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert

I never ever shut down PRS-500 & 505.
Apparently, 650 is well suited for that (if I am not planning to read for at least 5-6 hours).
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't shut down my 650 either. Just standby. Quick and easy, even if I am not going to read for a few days. So, maybe I have to cahrge more often, but that is not a big deal.

I have an iGo Charge Anywhere, so I can charge while reading, anywhere, metro, coummter train, etc.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote