Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
EBooks.com too. At least, I've gotten some stuff there that I consider mainstream. They are more expensive than Kobo, however.
I thought about them too, but they didn't list PayPal under payment methods on the site.

Quote:
Payment Methods
We accept four major credit cards:

Visa
MasterCard
American Express
Diners Club
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the obvious question, but why not just transfer the money from Paypal back to your bank account, and then buy books from whatever store you wish?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Robot Trading Company accept Paypal, and do SF/Fantasy.

"The Robot Trading Company stocks a range of ebooks from independent publishers Aeon Press, Anarchy Books, Angry Robot, BBR, Evil Hat Productions, Exhibit A, Full Moon Enterprises, H&H Publishing, Infinity Plus Books, Morpheus Tales, Strange Chemistry, and Wizard's Tower Press as well as authors Tobias S. Buckell and Paolo Bacigalupi."

http://www.robottradingcompany.com/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I thought about them too, but they didn't list PayPal under payment methods on the site.
Huh.

Normally I prefer PayPal over credit card, so I don't need to give my credit card data to many different stores. Then they must have had something I wanted really cheap, or they were the only one to offer it. Have to check that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive the obvious question, but why not just transfer the money from Paypal back to your bank account, and then buy books from whatever store you wish?
Transfering money back to your bank account costs a certain percentage.
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Transfering money back to your bank account costs a certain percentage.
It doesn't with PayPal UK. PayPal are legally a bank in the UK, and there's never a charge for transferring money between UK bank accounts. Does it work differently in the US?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It doesn't with PayPal UK. PayPal are legally a bank in the UK, and there's never a charge for transferring money between UK bank accounts. Does it work differently in the US?
They aren't a bank in the US, but there is no fee to transfer money from an account. The only time there are fees for something like that are when withdrawing from an ATM or if a paper check is requested.

From PayPal's site...
Quote:
Withdraw money
Here are the ways to use the money in your PayPal account.

Transfer money to your bank account Free!
Request a check from PayPal $1.50 USD
Shop with a PayPal debit card Free!
Get cash out of an ATM $1.00 USD
Shop special offers with PayPal Free!
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
My bank charges a fee for both incoming and outgoing transfers unless it's to someone using the same bank. I believe you use their email address to send money.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My bank charges a fee for both incoming and outgoing transfers unless it's to someone using the same bank. I believe you use their email address to send money.
Then I'd say you need to get a new bank. I've never heard of a bank charging people to accept money. So I assume you don't get your paycheck (or any check, for that matter) deposited directly into your account?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know. My information may actually be out of date. Last time I checked (in the Netherlands), it did cost a few percent, with some fixed maximum, like €25.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Buying epubs from Kobo doesn't lock you into anything, you can download DRM-free epubs directly, or Adobe DRM epubs via Adobe Digital Editions, just as with most other epub retailers. You don't need a Kobo device or app to read them.
Not exactly. The majority of Kobo's books are DRM'ed with ADE. Still it is super simple to strip the DRM after you've downloaded them with ADE (I cannot say anymore on the matter).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #27
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post

Originally Posted by GeoffR
Buying epubs from Kobo doesn't lock you into anything, you can download DRM-free epubs directly, or Adobe DRM epubs via Adobe Digital Editions, just as with most other epub retailers. You don't need a Kobo device or app to read them.

Not exactly. The majority of Kobo's books are DRM'ed with ADE. Still it is super simple to strip the DRM after you've downloaded them with ADE (I cannot say anymore on the matter).
With the possible exeption of aPple stuff as far as I know all epub readers support ADE, so even if you don't strip DRM the books are readable on any reader.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Huh.

Normally I prefer PayPal over credit card, so I don't need to give my credit card data to many different stores. Then they must have had something I wanted really cheap, or they were the only one to offer it. Have to check that.
I use prepaid debit cards for online purchases. I had a bad experience with identity theft in South Korea a few years back (my fault, I'll admit). But I can't stand to use eBay or any of their products.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They aren't a bank in the US, but there is no fee to transfer money from an account. The only time there are fees for something like that are when withdrawing from an ATM or if a paper check is requested.

From PayPal's site...
Thanks for that. It rather reinforces the point that, rather than looking for bookstores that accept PayPal, it would perhaps be more sensible to transfer the money to the bank, which would then allow you to buy from any store.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Thanks for that. It rather reinforces the point that, rather than looking for bookstores that accept PayPal, it would perhaps be more sensible to transfer the money to the bank, which would then allow you to buy from any store.
There's no fee with Paypal. But it depends on how the "transfer" is done. If I go to my bank's website and send $100 to Paypal, I will be charged a fee. Same as if I send $100 to you or Walmart, etc.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote