Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Jetbook question sorta

Not to start fights...but does anyone have a Jetbook and a Sony..505 or 700?

So far the Jetbook looks like a great device but can someone comment on their use of it vs the Sony....

I am looking at the Sony's but haven't found a reason to lean more towards them....
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

I have both - a jetbook (newegg on their $200 sale when it listed for $300) and a prs-505 (Border's $200 sale). Personally (and I am in the minority I am afraid), I like the jetbook for reading. The Sony due to the fact that it handles SDHC and the jetbook does not means that the Sony stores lots more books. I had one of the origional Sonys and hated it due to the supplied software. The newer sony does not require the library software that stinks. No clue on durability yet - the origional Sony I had died one day after the warranty ran out and the repair cost was close to the cost of a new one so I just tossed it.
Jetbook support is mostly DIY, but there is a decent community.

I never ran a pages viewed trial on them - since I always carry a couple of USB battery chargers.

However, presently I am taking the jetbook with me for daily use, the Sony for at home in good light, and (in another thread) for nightime reading, an ONDA 545HD for txt files (NOT a dedicated ebook reader - a multimedia unit).
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
Not to start fights...but does anyone have a Jetbook and a Sony..505 or 700?

So far the Jetbook looks like a great device but can someone comment on their use of it vs the Sony....

I am looking at the Sony's but haven't found a reason to lean more towards them....
Yup,

Since I got the jetBook I rarely turn on the Sony. Even with the smaller screen the jetBook is easier for me to read, plus it is small enough to fit in my trousers pocket.

The drawback I have for the jetBook is lack of DRM support, however I have the ability to strip DRM from MobiPocket files so that is only an inconvenience rather than a deal breaker.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I love my Jetbook and I hate that damned e-ink but sometimes (especially when I want to read a comic book) I find myself wishing for that slightly larger screen!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I think of the jetBook as a "what you see is what you get" device. It does what it advertises quite well and with little fuss and bother (great usability), plus there are a few extras (case, charger, global warranty, dictionary support, folder support) to boot.

If you want to purchase a device with an eye to linking up with a content-store provider, DRM-support (non-stripped) and/or wireless - that would be a different device you'd want.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert