Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mobipocket Desktop 6.2 released, still missing support for Kindle

Unfortunately, it is still missing support for the Kindle that was available in version 6.0.

It looks like it has a number of new features. I wish I could use them, but I have a Kindle.

You can download version 6.2 here.

- If you want to use 6.0 for your Kindle, click here.

P.S. Yes, this isn't a very informative news item. But that wasn't the point I'm trying to make. My main interest is in making sure newbie Kindle owners know they can use Mobipocket Desktop to support their Kindle. Plus, this is a not too subtle reminder to Mobipocket and Amazon that we know Kindle support used to be there, but was removed in Mobipocket Desktop 6.1.
</steps down from soapbox>
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just loaded it yesterday. It is faster on my old Palm powered cell phone than the prior version that I was using. Then again I don't read that much on the cell phone these days but it is nice to have for those times I am without the Sony and you just want to read something.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nate,

Why not tell us what the new features of v6.2 are? Not everyone who uses MobiPocket has a Kindle, you know!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The realease page does not make clear what is new, but from their Forum beta announcement:
Quote:
- Wikipedia integration
- Dictionary lookup in any application and across all dictionaries
- Bookmark and annotation sync
- Sync books to Blackberry, Nokia, Sony-Ericsson and Windows mobile devices.
- Multi-column layout for books
- 4 library layouts
- Reading lists
- Integrated RSS reader with full text sync to mobile reading devices
- Integrated ebook stores
The new library layouts include cover page thumbnails, but most of my ebooks are not in the latest MOBI format and so don't have covers. MobiPocket really should grab the 1st image if there is no explicit cover.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
zuul
Bookworm
zuul began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150 & Kindle
Hi Nate

I got my Kindle last week and had no problems transferring my ebooks to it. What advantages does Mobipocket desktop have to offer?

zuul
zuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
None, really.

It can be used as a method of transferring books to MobiPocket devices, but I don't personally use it for that. I think it's this lack that Nate is objecting to.

Personally I just use it as a Windows reader for MobiPocket format books; it's a quick way to make sure that all the books I create in Mobi format look nice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuul View Post
Hi Nate

I got my Kindle last week and had no problems transferring my ebooks to it. What advantages does Mobipocket desktop have to offer?

zuul
For some it will have none for others it is indispensable. It all depends on how you work. The windows version is a reader, a converter, and an eBook manager.

It provides conversion service for eBooks in other formats and RSS feeds. Conversion can be accomplished simply by dragging a PDF for example to the reader.

It helps manage eBooks by providing a unique view that shows the cover and shows a synopsis of the book to click you memory about what the book is about. It can also sync books and download books to your device. For PDA's it can keep your device updated with the latest software by grabbing it from the Internet.

As a reader it can give you a change to read the book on the pc which can be helpful when the synopsis wasn't enough to jog your memory. It is even possible to begin reading on a pc and then pick up where you left off on a PDA when the .mdp file is sync'd across.

In the latest version I believe it can help you manage the eBook stores you frequent.

If you don't need the features then you don't need the product. It is a Windows only program. For a Kindle Amazon seems to have specifically broken the product since the 6.0 version. I think people should complain about that to Amazon.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuul View Post
Hi Nate

zuul
MobiDesktop 6.0 recognizes the Kindle as a reading device. It will synchronize your Mobipocket ebooks. I like to use it to back up my bookmarks. MobiDesktop can also automatically download an RSS feed, assemble it into an ebook, and transfer it to your Kindle. I don't usually use this feature because I prefer to read the material online.

Also, it's possible to buy a DRMed Mobipocket ebook and (without removing the DRM) alter it slightly so you can read it on your Kindle. Look at the following links.
Beginner's guide to Kindle content (slightly out of date):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19649

And this is how I run the Python scripts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23225
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I downloaded this and it did a briliant conversion of one of my PDF eBooks. Well, good in that it looked great in the software display. However, when I tried to convert the mobi book to LRF with libprs500 it choked with an error.

Anyknow if this is a common issue, or perhaps an isolated issue with the book I was converting?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Policing the Kindle

I'm interested in Nate's suggestion that people complain to Amazon about the inability of the new Mobi desktop software to deal with the Kindle. Elsewhere he gives useful tips for transferring protected files from other sellers.

I know that Nate is an expert on all this but surely the separation of Mobi and Kindle is exactly what Amazon are aiming for. They want to tie Kindle users to Amazon as their sole source of material. Nate points out that books are sometimes available cheaper elsewhere but that is precisely the point.

I would be interested to know what the licensing agreement for the Kindle says but I would not be surprised if it included a specific agreement only to download DRM material approved by Amazon onto the device.

Given that the Kindle can communicate with Amazon, is it possible that Amazon, unlike other device sellers, will actually be able to enforce the condition by checking on the content of individual Kindles?

I started off chewing my fingernails waiting for the Kindle to launch in the UK but I'm beginning to wonder whether I would be signing a pact with the devil. There is not even any guarantee that the device will continue to use the Mobi format. If Amazon become dominant, who is to say they won't devise their own format, with once-off translations for existing purchases. Given Amazon's dominance that could effectively kill the other formats.

Designing the Kindle's DRM so files can't be read elsewhere, crippling the Mobi desktop software - these are pretty clear indications of where Amazon intends to take us. They are quite prepared to be ruthless, as they showed recently when they threatened - in effect - to put print-on-demand publishers out of business unless they use Amazon's own POD service.

Maybe it's the Cybook after all. Sigh.

Argel
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I'm interested in Nate's suggestion that people complain to Amazon about the inability of the new Mobi desktop software to deal with the Kindle. Elsewhere he gives useful tips for transferring protected files from other sellers.Argel
I emailed Amazon and MobiPocket soon after I got my Kindle about using MobiPocket Desktop with the Kindle when Desktop was "upgraded" to not recognize the Kindle. Amazon and MobiPocket basically told me that MobiPocket Desktop is not designed to support the Kindle and there are no plans to do so.

Personally, I think that is a poor business decision. Yes, there are tools available to help put DRMed MOBI files on the Kindle and even to break the DRM but that is not a viable solution for typical Kindle owners.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Both Sony and Amazon want to create protected ecosystems where they sell you only their books in their way. Thanks to the efforts of the community, SONY's protected ecosystem is not all that protected anymore, hopefully the same will be true of Amazon in the future.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
The only problem is that in an increasing number of countries, removing DRM from a file is a criminal offence. And in the case of the Kindle, you are doing it on a machine which is quite capable of sending back the details to Amazon. Be afraid, be very afraid.

As for the desktop, I suspect that it's not a Mobipocket decision at all, it will have been forced on them by Amazon, perhaps as part of the agreement to use the Mobi format.

Argel
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Just so you know, Amazon owns Mobipocket. It doesn't really matter who decided it.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
A question to the wise , does an upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2 keep the same PID ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote