Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
jerrywat
jerrywat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem with em dash, en dash and apostrophes

When I convert to epub from html the em dashes, en dashes and apostrophes are omitted. I tried changing the character input as suggested in some other threads but it did not help. I have also checked the box to transliterate unicode to ASCI. I would appreciate any help. thanks.
jerrywat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Can you make a short html file which demonstrates this and post it to this thread? (Change the extenstion to .txt since .htm files cannot be attached.)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
jerrywat

Attaching test file

Thanks for taking a look. The way I created the book was to use the original inDesign files and copied it into word where I formatted. I then saved as html and added graphics and used calibre to make the mobi and epub files.
Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: txt MightyActsTest.htm.txt (4.1 KB, 335 views)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Word seems to have added a lot of overhead to the text but it seems to convert to ePub with everything intact. The characters mentioned all show up in the calibre viewer and in ADE. Does my file work ok with your viewer?

I did NOT tick "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII" and I left the "Input character encoding" blank.
Attached Files
File Type: epub MightyActsTest.epub (3.5 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by Agama; 10-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
jerrywat

Thanks so much. I did as you suggested and I got it to work.
Advert