Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
jumpjack
jumpjack began at the beginning.

Device: none
Readers with offline local dictionaries

Does it exist any PDF reader which supports local dictionary?
jumpjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have several PDF readers RepliGo, ezPDF, Quick Office, Docs to GO, Quick Office, Adobe, etc... Only ezPDF has a local dictionary support by integrating with colorDict. ColorDict is a separate product so you'll have to download it separately. The nice thing about this is many products like Moon+, Montango also use colorDict.

Also the Kindle 4 Android now has PDF support so it might support dictionary lookup but I've not tried it.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Does any of the pdf reader app / reader app supports double tapping a word to automatically goes to the built in dictionary or to colordict?
Presently, I have to either hold and select the complete word from strating to ending or I have to keep the colordict app open and manually type the word?
Both are not friendly option for me and would love any reader app with double tap feature similar to touchscreen ereaders.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
Does any of the pdf reader app / reader app supports double tapping a word to automatically goes to the built in dictionary or to colordict?
Presently, I have to either hold and select the complete word from strating to ending or I have to keep the colordict app open and manually type the word?
Both are not friendly option for me and would love any reader app with double tap feature similar to touchscreen ereaders.
No the convention for a double tap in android is to zoom in/restore zoom in. On top of that the only PDF reader that supports a dictionary is ezPDF.

To select a word with ezPDF just press and hold. The whole word is usally selected. From the menu you can select colorDict and it will lookup that word. Other readers like Moon+ behave the same way.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No the convention for a double tap in android is to zoom in/restore zoom in. On top of that the only PDF reader that supports a dictionary is ezPDF.

To select a word with ezPDF just press and hold. The whole word is usally selected. From the menu you can select colorDict and it will lookup that word. Other readers like Moon+ behave the same way.

=X=
Thank you! Press and hold is even better than double tap! I now bought ezPDF and it worked like a gem. I am learning a new language and practicing the same reading newspapers. You really saved lot of my time.

Till now, I used Mantano for pdf reading - pressing and hold did not work with it.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert