Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Tune In Radio Pro can run perpetually on Fire

Using Badass Battery Monitor I've drawn a conclusion that, once TuneIn Radio Pro is turned on, it runs perpetually in the background when one thinks it is off in Wake and Sleep Modes.

One needs to use Shut Down Mode to shut down that App. Then going back to Wake Mode and / or Sleep Mode does not re-initialize TuneIn Radio Pro. It stays off.

There does not seem to be a shut down button in the TuneIn Radio Pro App.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-21-2011 at 04:36 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
There does not seem to be a shut down button in the TuneIn Radio Pro App.
That's expected, apps are not supposed to have exit buttons or exit menu options, though some do. Android manages the apps as it sees fit, rather than the user having to close them.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
To turn TuneIn off while in the app hit the menu key and choose exit otherwise it remains in the notification area open.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Better yet, just side load ES Task Manager from HERE

I notice tons of apps still run in background even after you think you've exited them properly. Just try not to kill any important Amazon device processes, you can simply hold down touch on them and put them on ignore so they won't show in list.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
To turn TuneIn off while in the app hit the menu key and choose exit otherwise it remains in the notification area open.
Menu \ Exit did it. Thanks again.

I notice that AI Factory Chess App also has a Menu \ Save & Quit button as well. I'll have to check that Menu in every App to close them properly.

I also notice, that even in Sleep Mode with Tune In turned off properly, there is no battery usage even with WiFi on. If I notice Sleep Mode works the same as Shut Down Mode, I can then keep the Fire in Sleep Mode all the time with WiFi on for getting App upgrades, Firmware upgrades and Syncing 24/7.

Shut Down Mode then would only become necessary if an App does not close propery and it's Menu has no Exit button.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-22-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post

I notice tons of apps still run in background even after you think you've exited them properly. Just try not to kill any important Amazon device processes, you can simply hold down touch on them and put them on ignore so they won't show in list.
From LifeHacker: Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn’t Use Them
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
From LifeHacker: Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn’t Use Them
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them
Believe me if you don't shut down certain apps it will use battery and you may find your Fire dead if you don't. I would never use an auto task Killer that's just asking for trouble.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
It doesn't apply to the Fire. It's has it's own rules thanks to Amazon. Believe me if you don't shut down certain apps it will use battery and you may find your Fire dead if you don't.
Right. And the eye in the bezel tells the Fire whether to be in portrait or landscape.

It applies to all Android devices. It is well-known fact that Task Killers cause OS problems. Android manages things just fine.

Amazon didn't rewrite the rules of Android. The Fire skin is just like HTC Sense or any other skin/ROM: A layer on top of the Android OS. People regularly root the Fire and put their own ROM on top of it. It's still Android underneath.

If certain apps are misbehaving, the app should be uninstalled.

Last edited by frankz; 12-22-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Right. And the eye in the bezel tells the Fire whether to be in portrait or landscape.

It applies to all Android devices. It is well-known fact that Task Killers cause OS problems. Android manages things just fine.

If certain apps are misbehaving, the app should be uninstalled.
No need to be sarcastic. That was just a guess on that thread. Anyone can be wrong about something it doesn't make them wrong about everything. It is really irrelevant to this thread.

Well you wouldn't want to kill any system apps but 3rd party app on the Fire can cause issue if left in Memory. The other day my Fire wouldn't even start up cause the Battery at 0% due to a app remaining in memory.

I have notice the Fire does not put some apps in suspension like other Android devices. Amazon has change something. I don't know what. Some apps are okay to leave running like Pulse, Email, Calengoo but some apps that are installed onto the Fire seem to get stuck in memory causing the battery drain issue some users are having. This is where checking what apps are running are important and making sure when you put the Fire to sleep nothing isn't running that shouldn't be.

This will ensure longer battery life on the Fire. I know from my own Testings. I don't use a task killer but manually close apps in Settings.

You will also notice on other Devices when some apps are killed it will restart itself. Not so with the Fire. It stays closed until you open it again.

I get 3 days of battery life with my Kindle Fire using this method. I am quite happy with that.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
frankz

Quote:
No need to be sarcastic. That was just a guess on that thread. Anyone can be wrong about something it doesn't make them wrong about everything. It is really irrelevant to this thread.
It was presented to show a pattern of offering guesses and opinions as fact, even in response to actual evidence and fact sets as in this thread.

Quote:
Well you wouldn't want to kill any system apps but 3rd party app on the Fire can cause issue if left in Memory. The other day my Fire wouldn't even start up cause the Battery at 0% due to a app remaining in memory.

I have notice the Fire does not put some apps in suspension like other Android devices. Amazon has change something. I don't know what. Some apps are okay to leave running like Pulse, Email, Calengoo but some apps that are installed onto the Fire seem to get stuck in memory causing the battery drain issue some users are having. This is where checking what apps are running are important and making sure when you put the Fire to sleep nothing isn't running that shouldn't be.

This will ensure longer battery life on the Fire. I know from my own Testings. I don't use a task killer but manually close apps in Settings.
Idle apps in memory use less battery, in the long run, than constantly closing and reopening them. That's why Android, designed as a battery operated operating system, keeps them in memory in the first place. Same concept as not turning off your car at every stop sign.

If the app refuses to idle and there is no menu option to close it, it should be force closed and then uninstalled.

Quote:
You will also notice on other Devices when some apps are killed it will restart itself. Not so with the Fire. It stays closed until you open it again.

I get 3 days of battery life with my Kindle Fire using this method. I am quite happy with that.
Anecdotal evidence is not really helpful.

You don't get 3 days of battery life. You get three days of use out of the same physically limited hours of battery life we all share. If you want to spend those hours of battery life turning on and off WiFi and manually closing apps, it's your business I guess. I prefer to spend it reading and browsing the web.

Last edited by frankz; 12-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It was presented to show a pattern of offering guesses and opinions as fact, even in response to actual evidence and fact sets as in this thread.
Well it is still irrelevant to this thread and not needed as it proves nothing. Everything said here is opinions no one here is an expert. People can be wrong from time to time it makes you human. Just look at half of the blogs out there.

I never said one what I say is Fact as I don't know where you get that assumption. I only said the Fire is different then most android devices when it comes to putting apps that aren't optimized for the Fire in suspension. So killing an app isn't going to hurt anything if you know what you are doing on the Fire. Now this doesn't apply to my Phone as it's a real Android device and acts like one but the Fire doesn't, at least mine doesn't.

Quote:
You don't get 3 days of battery life. You get three days of use out of the same physically limited hours of battery life we all share. If you want to spend those hours of battery life turning on and off WiFi and manually closing apps, it's your business I guess. I prefer to spend it reading and browsing the web.
Now you really trying to go on on something else. I get 3 days of use out of my Fire whether it's asleep or awake okay? Most people here get 7 hours at most and I'm only trying to help them.

An article does not make something Fact we all know Amazon made a Hybrid O/S So some things worked differently on the Fire. Of course I am speaking from user experience as I had my Fire since the day it came out but the OP who I have been corresponding with in different threads has already had to replace his Fire so he wants to get the most battery life out of his and so we are offering tips to help, not trying to debate about something neither of us can't really prove is fact only Amazon can.

The bottom line is from my experience killing some 3rd party apps on the Fire wont hurt it and will extend battery life in most cases.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Idle apps in memory use less battery, in the long run, than constantly closing and reopening them. That's why Android, designed as a battery operated operating system, keeps them in memory in the first place. Same concept as not turning off your car at every stop sign.

If the app refuses to idle and there is no menu option to close it, it should be force closed and then uninstalled.

Anecdotal evidence is not really helpful.

Well said, glad some people know what they are talking about, rather than throwing guesses around.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post

I might give this a shot thanks. Right now I am doing it manually but it be nice to have a shortcut.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

The ultimate way to shut down any App is to go to Shut Down Mode. Then ALL Apps are closed.

One can always go back to Wake Mode taking a few more SECONDS then going back to Wake Mode from Sleep Mode.

In my OPINION, it still pays to Shut Down every night when one shuts down the PC and then goes to sleep. It clears the caches, temporary files and gets a clean re-boot for all Apps in the morning.

However, a Menu Exit does away with the need to Shut Down after using an App which stays in memory.

Badass Battery Monitor does a great job of telling the user which Apps are not shut down. One can measure App usage from the last Shut Down and from the last Full Charge. Its easy to spot Apps in memory that way.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The ultimate way to shut down any App is to go to Shut Down Mode. Then ALL Apps are closed.

One can always go back to Wake Mode taking a few more SECONDS then going back to Wake Mode from Sleep Mode.

In my OPINION, it still pays to Shut Down every night when one shuts down the PC and then goes to sleep. It clears the caches, temporary files and gets a clean re-boot for all Apps in the morning.

However, a Menu Exit does away with the need to Shut Down after using an App which stays in memory.

Badass Battery Monitor does a great job of telling the user which Apps are not shut down. One can measure App usage from the last Shut Down and from the last Full Charge. Its easy to spot Apps in memory that way.
I have this install if only to see the battery percentage in the notification area. It's the only app optimized for the Fire by the developer that does this. I haven't fully explored it yet but thanks for mentioning it here a couple times.