Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Seeking the next most readable font after Lexend

Based on what I've read about the Lexend font, it is a most readable font.

I have been using Lexend as my default font on my ereader until someone pointed out that it doesn't have bold or italics versions. Unfortunately the font creator didn't create a bold or italics version of the font, nor is it a priority for him.

So, fellow readers, what is the second-best readable font? I want to use a font that has been trialled and put tot the test the way Lexend has? What do you all propose?

Last edited by droopy; 11-25-2019 at 09:26 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Based on what I've read about the Lexend font, it is a most readable font.

I have been using Lexend as my default font on my ereader until someone pointed out that it doesn't have bold or italics versions. Unfortunately the font creator didn't create a bold or italics version of the font, not is it a priority for him.

So, fellow readers, what is the second-best readable font? I want to use a font that has been trialled and put tot the test the way Lexend has? What do you all propose?
Comic Sans ?

Seriously, what I call readable would bring a rant from Jon. What he likes, might be hated by others.
Readable is dependent on multiple factors: display tech is one, USER vision is another. I am down to 1 eye. Contrast and line spacing are important. Sans or Serif, not so much. YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Comic Sans ?

Seriously ...YMMV
Seriously, the above extreme example really proves the point. I don't use Comic Sans, but to this day I am utterly unable to understand why its very existence is considered a crime against sentience. Similarly, I am unable to grok the touted superiority of Lexend. The samples I read seem no better or worse than Bookerly or my defaults, Arial Unicode and Noto - both of which handle multiple scripts much better than most Roman-only fonts I've tried.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I noticed that Lexend has a simple 'a' and 'g' - the type with a simple round part, like a simple child's print. Futura is the most obvious one which comes to mind, although there are many others.

Andika New Basic (I don't like the slant on the 'a'.)
Caudex (a little disconnected.)
Glacial Indifference

You might find some useful fonts on this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320073
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...The samples I read seem no better or worse than Bookerly or my defaults, Arial Unicode and Noto - both of which handle multiple scripts much better than most Roman-only fonts I've tried.
I'm a fan of Noto myself.

Have you tried Literata Book? It's another font by Google, very similar to Literata, but the spacing is different.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm a fan of Noto myself.

Have you tried Literata Book? It's another font by Google, very similar to Literata, but the spacing is different.
Thanks for your reply. I've just clicked on your Literat Book link. I see that it has serifs. According to Lexend.com, serifs add cognitive noise.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I think there is no perfect font for everybody. In my opinion the best way to find the most readable font is to read with different font and let judge to Your eyes. Because it is a very personal matter.

My preferred font is Bookerly and I recently discovered Lexia DaMa that is also a good font. They both are serif font and I don't have the perception of cognitive noise.

Other persons prefer sans serif font, I don't like them.

Finally I have a Paperwhite and a Kobo Aura One and not all font will perform the same in both reader. And in my Kobo there are installed also KOReader and Plato: again two other engine in which the beauty of the font can vary.

Last edited by ps67; 11-26-2019 at 12:52 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I've just clicked on your Literat Book link. I see that it has serifs. According to Lexend.com, serifs add cognitive noise.
And yet I prefer reading with a serif font. The problem is that font choice is a very personal item. I may love a font and read with it for hours while another person may look at it and go "Yuck!". You may want to read with a sans serif font and that's your choice.

My personal feeling is that at small font sizes (i.e., the body font in an ebook), serif fonts are easier to read. Headers and other bits of text using a larger font size often look better in a sans-serif font.

As for the opinion at lexend.com, are you sure you want to quote someone who feels that italic and/or bold are not needed? Though I would love to see a proper definition of cognitive noise other than saying it's a buzzword (buzz phrase?).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As for the opinion at lexend.com, are you sure you want to quote someone who feels that italic and/or bold are not needed?.

Where does Lexend.com say that italics/bold are not needed? From what I read, it's just not a priority.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I use Bookerly on my Kindles and Kindle apps. I'm not fond of san serif fonts for reading.

Isn't font choice largely subjective, especially for people with no learning/reading issues?

I tend to use a larger line spacing than some, it can be more helpful when my nystagmus is acting up than a larger font size. A more narrow text column is also easier on my eyes during those times. The less distance my eyes have to travel mean less jumping around.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
And for every person that touts sans-serif as superior, there's one or more who prefer serif fonts.
It's all about taste.
Find something *you* like and ignore everybody else.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I change font for every book I read, that's the beauty of an ereader. For diaries and letters, I choose a handwritten font; for something spooky I go for a bold serif font which looks 'old'. It only becomes annoying if I'm reading several books at once; each time I change book, I have to readjust the font!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Where does Lexend.com say that italics/bold are not needed? From what I read, it's just not a priority.
Perhaps you noticed that there is no bold, bold-italic or italic variant of Lexend? Actions speak louder than words.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you noticed that there is no bold, bold-italic or italic variant of Lexend? Actions speak louder than words.
Exactly. If they thought that they were needed, they would become a priority.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And saying that serifs add cognitive noise is pure BS.

I don't like reading on my H2O with a sans-serif font. I prefer a serif font.

The font I like best is CareInk which can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

If the creator of Lexend truly believed in his font, he'd have created bold, bold italic, and italic versions. As it is, what he's created is rubbish because it's useless. So his saying that serifs cause a problem is also rubbish.

Try ChareInk and see how you like it. For some, they do prefer sans-serif. But try for yourself and see what you think.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote