Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
LeeResident
LeeResident began at the beginning.

Device: nook
FYI, CC needed at B&N, not at Amazon!!!

I hope this helps someone decide which reader to buy,,

My wife was able to open an account at Amazon w/o a CC, and downloaded free books to her Kindle. (it has 3g if that makes any difference)

I went to B&N, it wants CC before free downloads to my Nook,,

If I had known this,, I would not have purchased the Nook. (I wanted the Epub/PDF reader function.)
LeeResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LeeResident.

Can you return the nook?

I think you'll be very pleased with your Kindle.....and its easy to get it to recognize epub.

Download Calibre and the plugins, and you're good.

However, I don't think any of the smaller ebook readers read pdf's very well.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It is not as big a deal as you are making it out to be. It has to do with how the DRM is done. Amazon uses the device serial number to generate what is called a PID and uses that to encrypt the book... B&N uses your name and cc number to do the same and it latches it to you and adobe digital editions vice the device.

Same crap different methods...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
LeeResident
LeeResident began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Will the kindle allow me to visit the B&N site,, this NOOK will not let me visit Amazon.com!!
PS,, I don't have a C.C. I fired them,, I use cash,checks, paypal. I'm now shopping for a Kindle.
LeeResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - I believe that you still have to have a credit card at Amazon to pre-order a book, even a free book or a book where you have plenty of gift card balance to cover the cost ... but you can use gift cards to actually pay for the book, you just have to have a cc on file.

Unless that has changed? I guess I haven't tried it in awhile but I know it used to be that way.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeResident View Post
That's because B&N's DRM mechanism uses your credit card number as the encryption key for the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As others have said, B&N uses the CC# in their DRM. However, most ebook stores require a CC# on file because they use this in their geographic restrictions enforcement. What Amazon does instead is snoop on which country you appear to be buying ebooks from (i.e. where the purchasing computer or Kindle is located). Some other stores do this too, but Amazon uses it as its main approach to conform to the geographic restrictions imposed by publishers.

EDIT: A recent post to his blog by Mike Cane indicates that he can buy Adobe ePubs at Sony’s Reader Store, the Kobo Books store, and Borders without a CC. These would all work on your Nook. He also indicates that he has an account at Amazon without a CC, so it may be possible to buy Kindle gift ebooks and redeem them yourself without a 1-click CC registration.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-04-2010 at 03:44 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Will the kindle allow me to visit the B&N site,, this NOOK will not let me visit Amazon.com!!
PS,, I don't have a C.C. I fired them,, I use cash,checks, paypal. I'm now shopping for a Kindle.
No.

Kindles will only allow you to visit the kindle store.

However, you can buy nook books and convert them to .mobi by using Calibre and plugins.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both Amazon and B&N lock their reading devices to their own store, to some extent, for books with DRM (encryption). The Nook allows ebooks from all stores that use Adobe DRM, in addition to its own CC# DRM. It also reads Adobe lending library ebooks. The Kindle is entirely locked to Amazon (which has the largest single store selection though).

You need a 1-click billing address to buy ebooks from Amazon, and so far as I can tell this requires a CC#.

Note that a debit card from your bank would likely work (at all ebook stores). There are also prepaid debit cards that probably work.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
You only need a credit card if you want to register the Nook which allows you to buy from Barnes and Noble directly on the Nook. You can load e-books from free sites like Gutenberg, library books, and books you buy from other sites without registering the Nook. Anywhere you can get an epub book without a credit card, such as Borders.com where you can use PayPal I believe, you can obtain books which you can load and read on your Nook. You just cannot buy directly from the device without a B&N account.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
You only need a credit card if you want to register the Nook which allows you to buy from Barnes and Noble directly on the Nook. You can load e-books from free sites like Gutenberg, library books, and books you buy from other sites without registering the Nook. Anywhere you can get an epub book without a credit card, such as Borders.com where you can use PayPal I believe, you can obtain books which you can load and read on your Nook. You just cannot buy directly from the device without a B&N account.
I may have missed something here, but when i went to download the "nook4pc" it would not allow me to do so without entering a CC....
Old 12-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You need a 1-click billing address to buy ebooks from Amazon, and so far as I can tell this requires a CC#.
I buy ebooks for Kindle4PC on a account that was never connected to a credit or debit card. A gift card that covers the price of the book(s) is enough.

It can get a bit problematic, because of the tax added to the books for some buyers. It can get quite hard to guess/calculate the actual amount needed to pay for the books you want.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
It can get quite hard to guess/calculate the actual amount needed to pay for the books you want.
Have you tried the new Kindle ebook gifting? I was able to buy a gift ebook, email it to myself and redeem it, but I have a CC on my account.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I hope this helps someone decide which reader to buy,,

My wife was able to open an account at Amazon w/o a CC, and downloaded free books to her Kindle. (it has 3g if that makes any difference)

If I had known this,, I would not have purchased the Nook. (I wanted the Epub/PDF reader function.)
Seriously? People get hung up on the weirdest details. Let's go buy the device with fewer books and more restrictions just because I don't want my credit card on a protected, secure site?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't know if it works for B&N, but it does for Amazon. Since I didn't want to give Amazon my CCard information when I originally set up the account (but still wanted pre-orders) I used a Verizon rebate gift card with $0.15 left on it on my Amazon account.

As far as I know, any registered gift card (one that you've connected to a physical address) can be used with Amazon, and I would expect B&N to be the same. So if any relative ever sent you a Mall giftcard (like a Simon one) you can probably use that. You'd just have to call or go online and put your name and address on it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote