Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
For PDFs, I'd recommend a Nook HD+, they're on crazy clearance right now ($149 at B&N). Good battery life, reasonably fast, beautiful 1920x1280 screen, official Cyanogen Mod support.
The UK price is nothing like that..Argos have it for £159 (32GB)
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/8140412.htm

I have one from nook UK but I still wouldn't recommend it until the magic USB cable is a bit easier (read cheaper) to find. I resent paying £15 for a cable + charger (with a USA plug) when I only want the stupid cable.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree 100%. For the price of a DX you can buy a 2nd-hand iPad which will be hugely better for this purpose. The DX is just too slow to be good for rendering complex PDFs.
Obviously the LCD quality from the iPad isn't very good. And don't forget the glare display. No way to read those in bright sun light.

The Kindle DX is a very fine big eink reader. I have no problem with most PDF files. Also I have read that there is an alternative PDF viewer you can (manually) install on the device. If you don't have already a big one get it.

Last edited by joblack; 08-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
... blahdeblah in United Kingdom. ...
Does that happen to be around this area?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Does that happen to be around this area?
HAAAAhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no... but not far from

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...-m62-1-5932442

lolz
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If the OP is in an area where he/she could take advantage of the Nook HD+ for the $149 price then that would be a good tablet to get for the way he would use it. There are a lot of PDF readers on the market that would perform great for that intended use.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Obviously the LCD quality from the iPad isn't very good.
"Obviously"? It's far from "obvious". The iPad has a very good screen indeed.

Quote:
And don't forget the glare display. No way to read those in bright sun light.
I don't personally have a requirement to read technical PDFs in bright sunshine. The only type of reading I generally do outdoors is fiction - and for that I do of course use an eInk reader. But I stand by my view that the iPad is a far superior device for reading PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamisertvurdu View Post
but I wonder whether tablets are better than e-ink readers to read PDF files for couple of hours without eye strain.
Depends on your eyes. Reading for extended periods on backlit LCD screens causes me pain. I would never get a tablet for that, but my eyes are mine.

Quote:
I don't have any device (neither tablet nor reader) and would appreciate your help.
My best guess is that if you don't have any difficulty reading for extended periods on a computer, you probably won't on a tablet. Turning down the brightness might help.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
" But I stand by my view that the iPad is a far superior device for reading PDFs.
That might be your personal opinion but I haven't seen any hard evidence.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
I find the iPad and other tablets are faster at loading PDF files, don't crash as often as the K3, Touch, and PW do, and redraw pages more quickly and with higher res screens in the 10" tablets, they're better for small text and tables, at least with RPG rule books. Or line art, for that matter. There's also expandable storage on the Android and Windows tablets.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The iPad is much, much faster, and the screen has a far higher contrast. Those are objective facts, not opinion. Speed is a real issue for many of the PDFs I read which have complex layouts. Another factor is that many of the PDFs I read (largely journal articles on Egyptology) have colour illustrations, and they obviously appear much better on the iPad's colour screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
The iPad is much, much faster, and the screen has a far higher contrast. Those are objective facts, not opinion. Speed is a real issue for many of the PDFs I read which have complex layouts. Another factor is that many of the PDFs I read (largely journal articles on Egyptology) have colour illustrations, and they obviously appear much better on the iPad's colour screen.
No, it's just opinion. My computer screen has a static contrast 1000:1 and a dynamic contrast of 5000000:1. It's still not comfortable to read on it. Contrast as a single attribute doesn't say much about the overall reading comfort.

Speed might sometimes be an annoyance but I really don't mind waiting for 1 - 2 seconds to go to the next page. It's a reading device and not a gaming console.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Set to mono-palette it is near instant flash, with minimal ghosting. That's a DX.
(requires wangle)

Inverted palette is how my FB ones are set. including the 3's. Comfy like that.

End of the day; Horses for Courses. They are both good in different ways.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just found a used Kindle DX-G for $142.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the large screen for reading novels.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
twobob

nice find!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
For PDFs, I'd recommend a Nook HD+, they're on crazy clearance right now ($149 at B&N). Good battery life, reasonably fast, beautiful 1920x1280 screen, official Cyanogen Mod support.
Agreed. I loved the KDX at first for reading PDFs, but once I got the Nook HD+ the KDX just gathered dust. I sold the KDX today and I miss it already. :-( Such a gorgeous device.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx 2