Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
gmask
gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Georgia2 for Kindle 3 (firmware 3.2.1)

Hello. I had problems getting Georgia2 to work on my Kindle 3 running 3.2.1, so I made my own bolder version of Georgia. I also made a Kindle version for some other fonts, including Palatino and Times New Roman. You can download them here:

ben-miller.com/kindle

Or by downloading this post's attachment (fonts.zip).

This zip file now contains Kindle versions of the following fonts:
  • Bembo
  • Constantia
  • Droid Serif
  • Georgia
  • Georgia2
  • ITC New Baskerville
  • Linux Biolinum
  • Linux Libertine
  • Miller Serif
  • Minion Pro
  • Palatino
  • Times New Roman
Attached Files
File Type: zip fonts.zip (5.19 MB, 3981 views)

Last edited by gmask; 08-21-2016 at 03:59 PM.
gmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
tequila0341
Enthusiast
tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kobo Glo HD
Very nice job on the Georgia font! I'm really enjoying it on my K3.
tequila0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
can you put some screenshots either on your site or here?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
First, I have a Kindle2, jailbroken, font hacked, etc. I figured I would try this Palatino, because I like the font. And there should be no difference in changing fonts from K3 to K2, right? I've done it before, and have been using a nice Georgia2 font.

So, I added the Palatino font (of course backing up my fonts folder), and it looked fine -- actually, a little too fine for my old eyes, so I decided to try the Georgia. I copied the font to my fonts folder, but when I went to do a restart, I could not! I kept getting a pop-up window asking if I really wanted to de-register my Kindle.

Finally, I replaced my font folder with the backup and did a hard restart, and everything is back as it should be.

I think this may have been due to a spacing change in the font (I noticed that there was much bigger line spacing with the Palatino), which maybe caused some kind of mis-location of the cursor?? I haven't a clue. Anyway, my old Georgia 2 font is just fine. It is just that it is hard to resist funking around.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
gmask
gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmask has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
First, I have a Kindle2, jailbroken, font hacked, etc. I figured I would try this Palatino, because I like the font. And there should be no difference in changing fonts from K3 to K2, right? I've done it before, and have been using a nice Georgia2 font.

So, I added the Palatino font (of course backing up my fonts folder), and it looked fine -- actually, a little too fine for my old eyes, so I decided to try the Georgia. I copied the font to my fonts folder, but when I went to do a restart, I could not! I kept getting a pop-up window asking if I really wanted to de-register my Kindle.

Finally, I replaced my font folder with the backup and did a hard restart, and everything is back as it should be.

I think this may have been due to a spacing change in the font (I noticed that there was much bigger line spacing with the Palatino), which maybe caused some kind of mis-location of the cursor?? I haven't a clue. Anyway, my old Georgia 2 font is just fine. It is just that it is hard to resist funking around.
That sounds strange. What version of firmware are you using? Here's the thing: for some reason, the original Georgia2 font (which works on older firmware than 3.2.1) breaks the Kindle's OS (won't allow access to menus, etc.). So I made this new one, and it works on 3.2.1, so if you're using an older FW then that might be the cause of this.

But if you're using 3.2.1 and it's still being funky, I don't know what that means, since it works on every Kindle I've tried it on. Perhaps re-installing the hack and then copying the font again? I do not know.

Quote:
can you put some screenshots either on your site or here?
I will add screenshots and a new archive containing additional fonts to the site tonight!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmask View Post

But if you're using 3.2.1 and it's still being funky, I don't know what that means, since it works on every Kindle I've tried it on. Perhaps re-installing the hack and then copying the font again? I do not know.
As I mentioned, I have a Kindle 2, so it is definitely older firmware. I just wanted to warn K2 owners that this might not work for them.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
gmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
As I mentioned, I have a Kindle 2, so it is definitely older firmware. I just wanted to warn K2 owners that this might not work for them.
Oh well that makes sense then, since the only reason I made these new fonts in the first place was that all of the older Kindle 2 bolder fonts break the Kindle 3.

If you want a very good Georgia font for your Kindle 2 use the one in the packages found here: https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files

You'll need to run the python script on the bin files to extract the font if your firmware isn't compatible.

I added some new fonts to the site.

Last edited by gmask; 09-07-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for this, and the step by step too. It's been a while since I messed with my fonts. I am very happy with the Georgia2 font, no wonder it's a popular one.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
ppk812
ppk812 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How did you make Georgia bolder? Did you re-autohint the typeface or make changes to hint instructions? I know that Georgia has very thorough hinting instructions so to re-do them manually couldn't have been done by hand by just yourself!?

I'm interested in doing the same for some fonts here too.

Last edited by ppk812; 01-12-2012 at 05:11 PM.
ppk812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
gmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppk812 View Post
How did you make Georgia bolder? Did you re-autohint the typeface or make changes to hint instructions? I know that Georgia has very thorough hinting instructions so to re-do them manually couldn't have been done by hand by just yourself!?

I'm interested in doing the same for some fonts here too.
Hi, I used High-Logic FontCreator's glyph transform function.