Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Page turn

I'm looking forward the 650, and wanted to know what the page turn options are for the 600 (and hopefully the 650).

I see two dedicated buttons: page forward, page backward.
I've heard the 600 allows swiping.

Does it support any other page turn options, without hacking? Does it support a simple tap on the right side of the screen to page forward?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Nope. The 600 uses the tap to access the dictionary.

The page turns on buttons or swipe, but the swipe doesn't have to be far. Sometimes I'll hold it in one hand and can use that hand's thumb to swipe the page.

I'm curious about the 650 and 550 too. The 600 was the first E-ink reader with a fast enough refresh rate I could tolerate. I like the 300's form factor better, but it's crippled processor dropped it out of the running. If the 350 can hold its own against the 600/650 in speed, it might be my next birthday present.

Dan <><
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
Nope. The 600 uses the tap to access the dictionary.

I wish they would make this an option. I currently have a 505 and use both page forward buttons (the one on the bottom left (with my left thumb) and the one on the right (with my right thumb)). I'm not sure how I could use my right thumb to swipe.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
That is the one thing I don't like about the 600--the page turn buttons. They hurt my thumbs after just a little use, as opposed to the 505, which doesn't bother them at all. But if it's easier to use the touchscreen on the 605...well...maybe I'll sell my 600 to help defray the costs of a new machine. Then again, I think certain members of my family will kill me if I buy another ebook reader, so maybe I won't. I'm definitely going to wait on the reviews this time.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
John,

Usually I hold the reader with the bottom left edge resting in my left palm, my thumb long the top of the spine. When I want to change the page, I touch the screen with my thumb about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in and pull toward the spine (reverse the motion to go back). The motion isn't unconformable even for my small hands and is almost always recognized.

Wallflower,

That's why you *give* your e-reader to the certain member. You're "helping" them have good reading tools (even if you abandoned it for something better). If I end up upgrading, That's my chosen strategy.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
John,

Usually I hold the reader with the bottom left edge resting in my left palm, my thumb long the top of the spine. When I want to change the page, I touch the screen with my thumb about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in and pull toward the spine (reverse the motion to go back). The motion isn't unconformable even for my small hands and is almost always recognized.

That may work for me when I hold it in my left hand (but I think the page forward button looks more promising).

I always have my cover on the reader, with the front flipped to the back. When I'm holding it with my right hand, my pointing finger is in between the two covers, and my hand is about 1/3 from the bottom. I have very limited motion with right thumb (and I don't want to use my left hand). Watching the videos, I always see a very long, deliberate swipe; It doesn't look like a short thumb swipe would work.

I guess I'll just have to try it (and envy the nice page turn buttons on the Kindle and Nook).
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Wallflower,

That's why you *give* your e-reader to the certain member. You're "helping" them have good reading tools (even if you abandoned it for something better). If I end up upgrading, That's my chosen strategy.
If anyone in my family but my mother was a reader, that would be the perfect strategy. But she's got a 505, which she loves, and has no interest in the 600 because she doesn't like the touchscreen.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote